Few questions about launching and shifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Not really sure where to put this question but i figured heres as good as any. My question is...... When i take off and shift hard at high RPM my car pulls to the right, is this only my car? Or is this something to do with my car being one wheel drive? If your dont know i have a 97 GSR. I have just been driving on a biger side wall then i ever have since oqning the car, could this make the problem more (sp)previlent being one wheel drive and now for my first time in this car driving on a 60 side wall?

it's called torque steer, and most if not all front wheel drive vehicle will experience this. It has to do with unequal length drive shafts

:werd: the difference in length means that the axles don't twist the same amount (the metal making up the axle twists from the torque). This makes on wheel travel slightly slower than the other.

And I can tell you that it is more noticeable with LSD. IB said that it could be cut down with the right chassis setup. Something to do with the amount of weight that rides on each tire being equal. I'd ask the same question in the wheels, suspension, etc forum.

It's kind of funny cause I've experienced torque steer in my Si.... being a torqueless wonder and all, it's normal.

Originally posted by tab@Jun 10 2004, 12:39 AM
And I can tell you that it is more noticeable with LSD. IB said that it could be cut down with the right chassis setup. Something to do with the amount of weight that rides on each tire being equal. I'd ask the same question in the wheels, suspension, etc forum.

Huh? The LSD will tend to even it out, unless you're talking about an older Quaife that hunts from side to side under heavy shock... anyway, the proper suspension and transmission setup will eliminate torque steer. I don't experience any at all in my car.

I too have actually experienced torque steer in my Si, however I've been practicing my launches on my current setup and haven't experienced any so far. :/

Back