1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiberglass/CF parts "weight reduction"

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by JDMilan, Jul 14, 2003.

1. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Well I am looking for some parts to lighten up my new civic, EG body, I am looking to see if there is a nice complete frontend replacement, but I am not looking for one that is like 10 inches wider than the oem fenders and body. Something that is more direct oem replacement looking.

Also looking for door, fender, and rear hatch replacements with either fiberglass or CF. Please don't list any shit fucking knock off companies.

This is for weight reduction boys not looks, but also I don't want to die if my ride hits a fucking construction cone ok :D

Milan

2. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Not too many peeps check this forum but I wanted to post in the proper place. Oh well, looks like google.

Milan

3. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

are you able to do it your self ie make the parts
    you dont really need alot of materials and you can farily easily make a hood

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

i can give you a few links to great places to get the material to make the shit yourself .... if you have experience with fiberglass CF is very easy to work with.... i had no experience at all with CF or FG and i had no problems working with it ... just take your time and give a lot of attention to the little shit and it will come out great .... i can give you some tips if needed

5. chb504

chb504 Senior Member

i think extremedimensions.com has a rear hatch cf replacement part and maybe cf fenders.... i don't know their reputation or anything tho :unsure:

6. chb504

chb504 Senior Member

oh yeah carbon creations i think is making a cf front bumper.....maybe, not sure. i think i saw it in a magazine

7. comutek

comutek Senior Member

those two ideas don't go together...there will always be a trade off. IMO $2000 under the hood is a lot faster $2000 of lightweight parts.

btw, you can save more weight by emptying you glovebox than replacing OEM fenders w/ them with CF ones :)

if you are serious about wanting lose some weight? yank your AC!

8. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I don't mind working with the material myself, I have experence adn my buddy has experience with CT/CK. Me, personally, am willing to take the challenge of building it up right. Thanks for thei input.

Milan

9. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

The point i was trying to make about weight reduction and looks is that I didn't want a frontend that takes too much away from the oem style, I don't want the front end 10 inches wider since my I am not running slicks on a daily basis.

And yes, I know about 2000 under the hood will do more than 2000 in weight reduction but I am trying to get great times wtih a stock longblock, and if done right weight reduction doesn't cost that much.

AC is staying in, Project is supposed to be oem longblock with AC weighing in at 1900lbs with clicks mid 12's NA. That is the goal thus far.

Milan

10. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

oh by the way for those interest ETDracing makes a front end for 750 but it is way too wide I think.

Milan

11. CrazyAzn

CrazyAzn Senior Member

check vis. iv'e seen adds from the for fenders, hatches, and what not.

12. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

thanks for all replies

Milan

13. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

Huffster over on superhonda.com makes carbon fiber stuff :huh:

14. deth101

deth101 Senior Member

all rear windows w/flexalite flat or molded......no real saftey issue if just rear and big weight savings

15. MugenCRX

MugenCRX Senior Member

If your looking for plexiglass windows I've heard a lot of good things about the ones that FAL makes. But as far as CF goes try that CarbonCreations.com by Extreme Dimensions. I heard they were going to make a carbonfiber Mugen front for CRX's...YAY! So I'm sure theyll make a thing or two for an EG hatch.

16. Dman1100

Dman1100 Senior Member

how much do lexan windows cost? i've heard they are tough for plastic

17. racerxb20z

racerxb20z Senior Member

Working with the raw materials is actually pretty easy just started with carbon fiber after working with a lot of fiberglass. They only thing you really need to do is practice and take your time, but not too much time.

18. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

I was thinking heavily about a fiberglass rear hatch with a plexi window but only time will tell now.

Milan

19. MaliWho97

MaliWho97 Senior Member

www.MMRUSA.com, they sell a lot of stuff like that, lexan windows, fiberglass parts, check them out. Remember, lose too much weight, you have traction problems! Ed Bergenholtz had that problem w/ his drag car, it shaved of 3 tenths of a second, but he couldn't catch traction.... Pneumatic Wheelie Bar took care of that.

20. tphan4

tphan4 Senior Member

importfan.com has oem like fenders...and they sell the hood, the front lip, so all you would need is the front bumper...but im havent seen any carbon fiber front bumpers for the EG...that would be nuts to have a whole front end carbon fiber.....itd def look good plus be alot lighter

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted