Fiberglass rear 1/4 panel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
I have the usual rust problem in the rear quarter panels of my crx. I have no access to a welder, so new metal is out of the question, blah. But anyway, I am good with fiberglass and was wondering if anybody had any good luck making the rear fenders look good using it. I am in the process of repainting the rest of the car with a paint sprayer anyway, but these are the worst spots. Web site with examples is always great!

How big is the hole? You have to know someone with a welder don't you? Packing the rust hole with fiberglass will only temporarily solve the problem and the rust WILL return if you do not remove every bit of the corroded/rusted metal.

My roommate has access to a welder, thats the only guy I know who does....but if you met him you would know why I wouldn't get it for the next 6 months. Anyway I was looking to actually cut away the rusted metal and build my own peices from it. I have made my own dashboard peices and different mouldings before using it, and its worked wonders, strong with a few layers on it, but never tried on the outside of the car before. I'm going to paint the car myself professionally so thats no big deal, its all going to be sanded and filled.

he best method would be to
1)cut out the rust
2) weld in some sort of patch (doesn't have to be completely weldedall the way around)
3) grind lightly with 36 grit disk
4) Apply duraglass\bondo etc.
5) Sand to shape ending with ~ a 80-180 scratch
6) prime with surfacer
7) wetsand with some 1500
8) Spray basecoat\clear

It's been a while since I posted here, but when I had my civic I had some big rust holes, I cut all of the rust out and made a fiberglass mold from another civic, it looked great when it was done.

ya, if I had access to a welder and knew how to weld, that would be absolutly great but I don't. I was looking to do the fiberglass mold. How did you guys hold it in place for the arch? How many layers, I was thinking at least 3 of fiber?

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Apr 21 2004, 04:25 PM
He should probobly gradually increase grits rather then jump right from 80 to 1500.

Actually, if hes using a good primer and puts a few coats on it, the scratches from the 80 should come out just fine.

Back