fiberglass repair...HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

ok so my moms accord has a full BOMEX fiberglass kit. well my family loves dogs, my mom seen one about to ge thit by a car and drove threw a dip with out cuting the corner and cracked the front bumper in the middle on the bottom, and on both lower corners, basic areas im sure. well over time it got worse so we finally took it off.

i seen a show the other day on SPEEDVISION and they were repairing an old vette body seemed very do'able so here i am asking for advice on what products and technics to use. the kit is some what expensive and is just a nice JDM peace so it would be real nice to see back on the car. if there seems to be any one who can really help me with what im trying to do i will go pull it down and take pictures to show the damage.

thanks ahead fellas :thumbsup:

Send me some pics either through my contact info on profile or through my website and I'll hook you up with a step by step procedure for fixing it (provided it's not totally destroyed lol). Give me some basic info of the stores around you also and I'll tell you where to get the materials you need or I can send you some if you prefer.

ok dude sorry for the wait i had to shop for like 10 people in a week :blink: any ways the link is to my album with the pictures.

on the one corner with the most damage it looks as though the damage rolls up the side alot more then it does, most of the damage is on the lip that rolls under the car. ( hope you understand what i mean) then theres the one crack that is dead in the middle thats on the top of the first lip (on the front of the pumper) and rolls under to were its the worst in that spot, so thats why i say most is on the bottom lips were the mold of the kit rolls under at the bottom.

most of the damage is from scraping and the kit crushing itself so it seems like its still very repairable.

THE LINK

heres what it looked like on the car
s3fcf2f40e7f07.jpg

man i am a sucker for old accords, especially clean ones. Where are you located? I do fiberglass repair and refinishing. So i can defintaly help you out.

thats defenitly repairable, there was another thread a while back that had instructions, i think

I truly apologize for not getting back something written for you sooner. I'm going to run down a step by step as if I were doing the repair. The thing about fiberglass is that there's a million different ways of doing it and allthough different, most are feasible.
Items needed: I would definately have an inside area to place this project, such as a garage with decent ventilation. 1.) You will need resin and catalyst from your local auto parts store. 2.) Fiberglass material 3.) paint brushes to apply the resin mix 4.) bondo & hardner plus various sandpaper for the finishing work 5.) Masking tape, thin wire, tinfoil, C clamps, angle iron (thin metal strips or short 2x4 peices will be ok also). 6.) Protective eyeware, acetone, rubber gloves and dust masks. Items from number 6 should be near for all fiberglass projects.
Step #1 Place your bumper on a solid work surface in a well ventilated work area. Wash all areas to be fiberglassed with acetone.
Step #2 We'll start with the cracked areas such as
s3fe8bde8e7f01.jpg
and
s3fe8bdfc4e213.jpg

These areas can be fixed by lining up the crack as well as you can. Try to make the crack appear as if it weren't there. When the sides are lined up correctly, you can apply masking tape to the "outside" area (the facing side or gel coated smooth side. This will keep the resin from bleeding through the crack and onto the gel coated side. You can also use the metal strips and C clamps to keep the crack as straight as possible. Just remember not to crank down on them or you'll be repairing more cracks! Once the crack is lined up well and covered from the front to keep down the resin bleed, lay out enough fiberglass material to cover at the minimum 3 inches all around the crack. Do not cut the fiberglass material either! Don't make it a perfect square! Pull it apart so that there's a ragged edge of fiberglass strands. This will ensure better sealing of the fiberglass. Rip enough fiberglass to make 3 layers over the crack. Mix only enough resin and catalyst to do the job at hand. Follow all of the instructions as to the proper proportions of catalyst for the type of resin that you're using! Use the paintbrush to soak the resin into the first layer of glass over the crack. Continue laying down the next layer and "paint" over it with resin. Finish with the final layer of fiberglass. Do not over use the resin! You only need enough to make the fiberglass material wet, you do not want it dripping. Too much resin will cause a brittle end project. Allow this to completely dry before moving on to the next crack!!!
Step #3 Repeat the same steps as #2 for the next crack as pictured above. Allow it to dry before moving on also, I would suggest repairing one crack a day to allow the fiberglass to fully cure.
Step #4 Fixing the large "open areas will be a much tougher job. If you have the missing pieces, it will make the job much easier! WE will start repairing these now
s3fe8bdcb3d0a5.jpg

If you do have the missing pieces, simply insert them into the opening, tape them in and proceed repairing them much like the above cracks.
I'm assuming that you do not have the missing pieces though. You will need to create a rough curvature by using the thin wire and tinfoil. This is hard to explain, but you will need to tape the thin wire to the existing sides much like you're creating a 3D model. You can then fill between the wire with tinfoil to give you a workable surface to lay fiberglass on.
Step #5 Lay up your fiberglass the same way that you repaired the cracks above. Allow it to fully cure before removing the wire and tinfoil.
Step #6 The hardest part you will have is the finish work! You will have to bondo the gel coated side in order to fill the gap between the good surface and the fiberglassed areas. This will take alot of sanding and filling. Once you have a good clean surface that matches the original gel coated side, you will need to either brush in some gel coat or paint it. Since the large missing areas are underneath, I would simply get a clean matching surface and blend in some black paint.
I know that this is fairly hard to understand without pictures. I hope that it came across ok, but if ya need any help, kust let me know. Like I said in the beginning, there's a million different ways to do fiberglass. Please do not post that this way is wrong, I've been doin fiberglass for well over 10 years. If you have ideas on a better way of laying it up, please feel free to jump in and write it down. I hope it helps. Sincerely Tony G.

man that is the wrong way.. :p

Nah, that is a great write up man :worthy: That is basically exactly how i have done each time i cracked my kit before. Luckily I haven't had the missing peice part but chicken wire and foil makes perfect sense. good job.

Just follow what he said in his write up. Make sure you fray the edges instead of smooth squares, he is right it will crack easier (learned that leason the hard way) and have fun.....post pics when you fix it.

Originally posted by BlackDx@Jan 7 2004, 05:18 PM
man that is the wrong way.. :p

Nah, that is a great write up man :worthy: That is basically exactly how i have done each time i cracked my kit before. Luckily I haven't had the missing peice part but chicken wire and foil makes perfect sense. good job.

Just follow what he said in his write up. Make sure you fray the edges instead of smooth squares, he is right it will crack easier (learned that leason the hard way) and have fun.....post pics when you fix it.
[post=247094]Quoted post[/post]​

Im considering taken on the task very soon, the back bumper now needs some work so were gonna slap the stocker back on and take care of it, really im gonna wait till the garage is in a lil better shape though, were doing some home reovation kinda right now so............

the write up is not entirley correct.
1)you must sand the ficerglass before you apply the new glass also wipe of with accetone after you sand.

Thats about is otherwise a good write up

Back