***FiberGlass repair***

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
i just recently got screwed by some DICK HEAD from Canada that sold me a GTR dragon spoiler. not only did it take about 2 months to get here but when i opened it up it was all cracked up and chipped all over. i was so fuckin mad until a friend told me that i could have it repaired,bondo'd, and sanded down to make it look brand new. is this true? i mean the wings got about 12 different spots where theres either spider vain looking cracks or dime size chips missing but hes telling me that they can use bondo and repair every crack and chip and sand it down and make it look new...is this possible :shrug2:

Perfectly possible. Just make sure you grind all of the cracked fiberglass down with 36 grit, blow it off, mix your resin and hardener, dip strips of fiberglass into resin and lay them down, let it harden, grind to contour, bondo, prime etc.

Where are you located maybe someone here can help if you out. I know i can if u are in the md area... when i have time. Nut it is just an offer :D

Originally posted by xyswany@Nov 14 2004, 05:45 PM
Perfectly possible. Just make sure you grind all of the cracked fiberglass down with 36 grit, blow it off, mix your resin and hardener, dip strips of fiberglass into resin and lay them down, let it harden, grind to contour, bondo, prime etc.
[post=416787]Quoted post[/post]​

all got except don't forget to wipe it down with acetone after you blow it off

if it's not structural (and most wings aren't), just fill it all with bondo and save yourself the money.

And what wings would be structural? If you want to half-ass it, yeah you could just fill it in with bondo but then it will crack again, shrink and look worse than it did originally.

i would not recomend using bondo for fiberglass repair! use fiberglass resin, but first v-groove the crack, fill it with resin and sand it down, then use glaze coat to smooth the imperfections, i recomend evercoat, i have always had great success using this technique.

gallery_31683_198_1100572537.jpg

Here are the best pics i can produce with this shitty camera. As you can see there pretty big cracks and chips on it but like everyone's saying it can probably be fixed....i couldnt put the whole 4 pics in one post it was way to big. im located in upstate NY....dutchess county area....if anyone knows of a good body shop in the area please refer me. im already pissed off that this ass hole sold me a fuckin piece of shit but hopefully ill be able to repair it.

that is one godawful wing. :eek: but if ya have any more questions about fixing it IM me @ xyswany

Originally posted by swanny@Nov 15 2004, 10:03 PM
that is one godawful wing. :eek: but if ya have any more questions about fixing it IM me @ xyswany
[post=417412]Quoted post[/post]​

lol...i know it was a big fuckin mistake but im stuck with it now....i kinda got sucked in by the good deal.....$75. but it turned out to be not what i wanted at all

that wing is fixable, grind out those cracks, fill with fiberglass resin, DO NOT PUT BONDO IN THOSE BIG ASS CRACKS! it would crack back out in no time, you can do this yourself at home at a fraction of the cost a bodyshop would charge you to do it. good luck.

Originally posted by somethingclever+Nov 15 2004, 01:01 PM-->
i would not recomend using bondo for fiberglass repair! use fiberglass resin, but first v-groove the crack, fill it with resin and sand it down, then use glaze coat to smooth the imperfections, i recomend evercoat, i have always had great success using this technique.
[post=417137]Quoted post[/post]​

somethingclever
@Nov 16 2004, 03:30 AM
that wing is fixable, grind out those cracks, fill with fiberglass resin, DO NOT PUT BONDO IN THOSE BIG ASS CRACKS! it would crack back out in no time, you can do this yourself at home at a fraction of the cost a bodyshop would charge you to do it. good luck.
[post=417583]Quoted post[/post]​

resin has zero strength and will crack.
The strength with fiber glass comes from the strands them self

to fix those gte a grinder and fan out the edges then get a product called kitty hair
use it to fill the cracks the grind it down to the contour then fill with a good filler sand and prime then block sand then use glazing putty to remove all the fine imperfections then reprime

LOL....now im a little confused!! everyones got a different answer?? maybe i should just bring this to a body shop!!

there is a ton of ways to do it. Nonbody is completely wrong. The quality of the repair depends mostly on how good you use the product not what product you use. Make sure to keep it clean so the material an bond.

Back