fifth gear popout

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shfaster

i have a 94 ex, with a b16a swap. i did the swap in july, and now its popping out of fifth gear. it started doin it a month after the swap, and lately its really bad. i can' even put it in fifth gear because it'll popout so fast, anyway, i replaced the shift bushings, and that didn't do anything. i don't understand why its doin this. every gear besides fifth is completely fine. no grinding or nothing. in fact its like butter when i shift. i thought it might be my shift linkage, but i don't know why it is getting so bad. then i thought tranny fluid, but i don't know why its only fifth gear. if anyone has any advice or particular things i should check please let me know. thanks

i have the same problem in my 94 civic with b18c. it goes in for like 5 seconds then pops out i can hold it in 5th and it seems fine. does your reverse have any trouble? mine seems to wind a lot more than the d16z did.
i was told it might be the sancrinization in the transmission?
could this be our problem and what does it take to fix it?

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Nov 7 2004, 12:09 AM
check the tranny fluid
[post=413253]Quoted post[/post]​

wouldnt we have problems in the other gears as well if this was the case?

Originally posted by stedscivic+Nov 7 2004, 11:25 AM-->
erebunicrx
@Nov 7 2004, 12:09 AM
check the tranny fluid
[post=413253]Quoted post[/post]​

wouldnt we have problems in the other gears as well if this was the case?
[post=413399]Quoted post[/post]​

No because B series tranny's, any many other honda trannys when in the installed position in the engine bay, the 5th gear is the highest up gear. In other words, if the fluid level is low, 5th gear will be the first to go dry. So check the fluid

The body shop my car went to after my accident forgot to put oil in the tranny and it fried the syncros. While driving on the highway 5th gear kept poping out and only 5th gear. The next day I took it back and got a brand new tranny for free. :D

yo everyone, i changed my tranny fluid today, and that was definitely the problem. the fluid was not only filthy, but there was enough in there. it is driving completely normal now compared to before where it wouldn't stay in fifth gear for more than ten seconds. thanks alot everyone.

Back