File Sharing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

This has bugging me for a while and haven't found a real solution.

Anyway, everyone time I add new files to an already shared folder, I cannot access the new files. I have animes on the network and each time bittorrent finishes downloading the new ones, I have to unshare the fold and reshare it again to inlcude the new files. Sometimes not even this fixes the problem and it drives me fucking nuts.

Suggestions?

vista caches files until the connection is broken. this doesnt happen on xp using samba (linux) to view the shares.

once you restart the vista machine, or (maybe) restart the network device, you should be able to view the updated files.

It takes Vista little less than an hour to fully share any folder. That folder will immediately share files that are put into it.

right, but vista is the client....not the host....the above response would be applicable if he was trying to host files with vista.

I have the same problem here too. All I just do is move the file/folder out of the shared folder and move them right back in, this fixes the problem.

I would still really like to know why it does this.. never found the problem.

real reason?

youre using sub-par software with oodles of proprietary systems. get a real OS and not a toned down piece of shit that appeals to the lowest common denominator. I dont even have to run windows anymore cause the two games i play ive hacked into working with linux (finally). YAY!

This has bugging me for a while and haven't found a real solution.

Anyway, everyone time I add new files to an already shared folder, I cannot access the new files. I have animes on the network and each time bittorrent finishes downloading the new ones, I have to unshare the fold and reshare it again to inlcude the new files. Sometimes not even this fixes the problem and it drives me fucking nuts.

Suggestions?

List of anime? Whatcha got :)

Personally I would suggest finding an old system and running either FreeNAS or Linux on it for effective file sharing. FreeNAS is an excellent way to set up a file server. Everything is web based, even drive formatting and RAID are supported through this interface.

I had a tiny P200 with a half TB that I would tote around as a way to snag massive files. It ran FreeNAS and never skipped a beat.

Did I mention that it's free? :)

It takes Vista little less than an hour to fully share any folder. That folder will immediately share files that are put into it.

Three words:

Piece. Of. Shit.

Why does it do that?

well it all depends on the number of files...and its because of the way vista sets permissions on files...it takes forever.

Have you tried using the real administrator account in Vista, as opposed to the pseudo one it starts you with?

GRRR.... fucking winblows. i can still access the old files, but the new ones are giving me a permissions error. the permissions are set to everyone with read and execute. i also tried, cutting it out and repasting it but doesnt work. it used be where i shared it, unshared it and reshared it, it would do the trick.

and i have no money to set up a NAS right now. it would be ideal to have two 500 satas in RAID 1, but thats ideal and again i have no money (xmas hurt my already tight wallet). and i dont have to time tool around with linux yet.. maybe around the summer.

anime wise, lets see.. i have naruto, bleach, death note, kekkaishi, green green, blood black brothers, ah my goddess (all 3 seasons), hayate no gotoku, amendaiyo, inukami, full metal alchemist, samurai 7, samurai champloo, yu yu hakusho, grappler baki 1st season, love hina, historys strongest disciple and probably some various other ones i cant quiet remember.

Install linux on a separate hdd and keep it in fat format and then use windows dual boot to boot into linux when you want to file share. Since linux is on a fat drive you can still access it in windows.

ooooorrrr....if your computer is fat enough....vmware...ftw.

just create a samba share. throw the files you want shared on the samba share, and youre good to go.

GRRR.... fucking winblows. i can still access the old files, but the new ones are giving me a permissions error. the permissions are set to everyone with read and execute. i also tried, cutting it out and repasting it but doesnt work. it used be where i shared it, unshared it and reshared it, it would do the trick.

and i have no money to set up a NAS right now. it would be ideal to have two 500 satas in RAID 1, but thats ideal and again i have no money (xmas hurt my already tight wallet). and i dont have to time tool around with linux yet.. maybe around the summer.

anime wise, lets see.. i have naruto, bleach, death note, kekkaishi, green green, blood black brothers, ah my goddess (all 3 seasons), hayate no gotoku, amendaiyo, inukami, full metal alchemist, samurai 7, samurai champloo, yu yu hakusho, grappler baki 1st season, love hina, historys strongest disciple and probably some various other ones i cant quiet remember.

I've been looking for a good version of Death Note. It got licensed so damn quick.

I can post my list if you're looking for new stuff. Nothing has bandwidth like a mail truck :)

i am not interested in running linux as right now, so pass on dual booting or vmware. besides i probably need an extra gb of ram to run it smoothly anyway.

is there a windows friendly gui for samba? im not too familar command lines.

i am not interested in running linux as right now, so pass on dual booting or vmware. besides i probably need an extra gb of ram to run it smoothly anyway.

is there a windows friendly gui for samba? im not too familar command lines.

At that point you might want to consider moving away from Vista. The OS is your issue, as you don't have any issues with XP and file hosting/sharing. Honestly, do you need Vista? At least wait for the first service pack to come around before using it.

Back