fillin in the trim channel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigdaddyIII

hey, i wanna fill in the trim channel like civicious has. i was wondering, thats too deep for straight up bondo, isnt it? what do i do? lay down glass, or duraglass, or what?

there are a million ways to do it, it just depends on
1. how much you want to spend
2. how good you want it to look
3. and how long you want it to last.

since im cheap and not building a showcar, i would probally do a combo of Bondo and some prefab fiberglass cloth. and a lot of sandpaper

This question has been asked quite a few times before. id try doing a search, but to do it correctly i would weld in some flat stock in the channel to reduce the amount of filler your going to have in there because the more filler or bondo you have the greater the risk of it cracking, shrinking, showing up sand scratches etc. keep in mind if you want to do this correctly you are going to have to repaint most of the car which isnt cheap. If you have any further questions just lemme know.

what about that fiberglass reinforced bondo shit, i've herd that works wonders where regular bondo won't.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Jan 21 2004, 06:30 PM
what about that fiberglass reinforced bondo shit, i've herd that works wonders where regular bondo won't.

duraglass is some neat stuff although i wouldnt reccomend filling in a 1/4 inch with anything wether it be fiberglass, filler, putty or duraglass. the least amount of filler, the longer it will hold up, because most of it is talc based it absorbs moisture, and when it absorbs moisture it swells, bubbles and cracks.

im gonna be completely rebuilding the rear fenders anyway, and i want the car semi gloss black, so its gettin painted either way. would it be alright to jb weld the flat stock (ghetto), or should i actually stick weld it? what gauge stock do you recommend?

Personally i would tack weld in the flat stock, using a piece of flat stock as thick as the gap. MIG welding would be the best route, tack weld it every 2 inches or so so you dont warp your quarters\doors.

Originally posted by bigdaddyIII@Jan 22 2004, 02:15 AM
so, i dont have to weld the whole length of stock, just tack it?

correct. every 2-3 inches should suffice, grind with 36 grit, apply filler, sand, touch up with some putty if needed prime, seal, spary.

i warped the shit out of my doors trying to do this. just watch the haet and use heat guards.

Back