FINALLY found a VX...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

track6

And it's almost stock. Even better - I have no plans to change anything!

No, I'm serious here. I was looking for nearly 5 months for a VX to use as a commuter car. And it seems that they are all swapped, modded, beat, abused, or any combination of. So when I found one that was stock, I grabbed it.

Okay, so it has 180k miles on it. And someone decided blue was a better color than Honda Teal. Oh, well.

So I'm waiting to see how much better this car will do than my previous DD - a '91 Prelude Si. The 'Lude is loads of fun to drive, but only does about 28 mpg. With a 90 mile commute, I wanted to get better than that.

But, once I kill the engine/trans in the VX - who knows what will wind up in that car!

So, along that line - I know about the normal maint (timing belt, water pump, etc.) but is there anything else I should think about servicing on this car w/the miles it already has? (And what I'm going to put on it?)

Last edited:
180k, just broken in! lol,
seriously, water pump and timing belt like you said, but change the thermostat and do a complete coolant flush when you do the water pump and:
put a new alternator belt on at least, you have to take it off anyway to do the timing belt do the others if they need it (a/c, p/s)
change the oil
check the tie rods and ball joints as well as engine mounts and all suspension bushings, finding bad stuff now will keep a headache from happening while you are driving.
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
fuel filter
change the fuel pump if you have the cash
check the brake hoses (the rubber ones, if anything looks even a little funny replace them)
check radiator and heater hoses for cracking/dry rot, etc.
flush brake fluid
flush clutch fluid and check the clutch slave clyinder for leakage and the rubber hose for any cracking or dry rot
flush tranny
other than that you should be all set, just remember that the car is old and has quite a few miles on it, and god only knows what the service has been like for it.
You say that your commute is 90 mis, you don't want to be stranded somewhere from something stupid like a brake hose or an overheating car, or anything, ya know, you cant always predict everything, but that should be a good list for ya, and it shouldn't cost you over 1000 at a shop to have the water pump timing balt, tune up and all the flushes done, and alot cheaper if you do it yourself.

you have a supercharged gsr swap and run 14.5???? homey, you need some racing lessons.

you should be running 12's.

you have a supercharged gsr swap and run 14.5???? homey, you need some racing lessons.

you should be running 12's.

Woah, Major thread jack, check my posts for more info on my problems, maybe you can help.

also it's not a swap I have a gsr SEDAN, it's rather heavy, secondly I'm trying to get a bunch of stuff ironed out like lsd, this autronic system I have and some drag radials, if you paid attention you would see the trap speed of 105.

well, it's not really a thread jack since i didn't post anything about myself.

i'll search for your other threads though.

sounds like you just need to work on r/t and 60' times.

lsd, slicks, and practice.

and the weight isn't that much of an issue.

95 GSR Coupe : 2,667 lbs
95 GSR Sedan: 2,765 lbs

Don't forget to flush and fill the blinker fluid. Too many people forget to do that.

Don't forget to flush and fill the blinker fluid. Too many people forget to do that.
Isn't that fill anywhere near the muffler bearings?

Welfare - thanks for the good info. I was planning to do the belts @ the same time as the WP. Along with the basic tune up. And it has decent tires already.
But I didn't think about the flush & fill on the radiator & brakes. I think I like those ideas. Not sure about the fuel pump. I have one here that I bought to put in the Prelude but I haven't gotten there yet. That car still runs good, but has done a couple of things that makes me think it may be getting weak.

I also like the suggestion for clutch fluid. But I haven't checked this one at all yet. Is it a stand alone system or is it fed off the brake master cylinder?

And yes, sadly, I drive 45 miles each way to work. In 6 months I've already put 14,000 miles on the Prelude. My first idea was to change cars every six months so I don't totally

the clutch hydraulic system is self contained, it does use brake fluid, but it is not at all attached to the brake system, it has it's own resivoir and stuff, you'll see it right next to the brake resivoir.

well, it's not really a thread jack since i didn't post anything about myself.

i'll search for your other threads though.

sounds like you just need to work on r/t and 60' times.

lsd, slicks, and practice.

and the weight isn't that much of an issue.

95 GSR Coupe : 2,667 lbs
95 GSR Sedan: 2,765 lbs
Well, since r/t soesn't have shit to do with e/t..why should he work on that? All that really matters is 60'.

Back