FINALLY got an engine... but now...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StarBellieAngel

ok... i just bought a 92 XSi swap and i'm going to put it in soon. while i'm doing this i want to change the clutch. here's my question.

does it matter when i order one what i buy? since the XSi engine is a 1.6L and the stock motor is a 1.8? i got the complete so i have the XSi transmission, but i'm just not sure where to find a clutch or if i even need to worry about the difference in displacement....

can anyone help?

If it's a 92 engine, you need the 92-01 B series clutch.

What OBD is the engine? OBD0 or OBD1? If it's OBD0, you need a 90-91 clutch.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Nov 4 2003, 04:15 AM
If it's a 92 engine, you need the 92-01 B series clutch.

What OBD is the engine? OBD0 or OBD1? If it's OBD0, you need a 90-91 clutch.

Dude what are you talkin about?? Her tranny is still cable. Integras didn't go hydro till 94. So either way she will need the 90-91 integra clutch. I'm pretty sure its the same for the 92 xsi.

ok... after a bit of research this is what i've found.

1) in the 92 XSi it is an OBD1 engine (not that this matters too much)
2) in the 90 integra LS it is a Y1 cable tranny
3) in the 92 XSi it is a YS1 cable tranny

now, i believe i've answered my own question here, but oh well... maybe i cleared some confusion up for others....so I just need to find a compatible clutch for a YS1 tranny, right?

I have always been told that a clutch for a 92-93 gsr is the one to get for a b16 with a cable tranny... This thread seems like it has a lot of misinformation going around. Can someone set this straight with a answer and explanation.
Thanks

Oh and congrats on the motor, I cannot wait to see it... :)

hmmmmm....Why would it matter how big the engine is....clutch is whatever is capatable with the transmission which would be an B series clutch

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Nov 4 2003, 12:48 PM
I have always been told that a clutch for a 92-93 gsr is the one to get for a b16 with a cable tranny... This thread seems like it has a lot of misinformation going around. Can someone set this straight with a answer and explanation.
Thanks

Oh and congrats on the motor, I cannot wait to see it... :)

I know this for sure. 92 and up clutch wouldn't work with the b16a cable tranny cause the splines are different.

Originally posted by 87B16CRX@Nov 4 2003, 01:19 PM
hmmmmm....Why would it matter how big the engine is....clutch is whatever is capatable with the transmission which would be an B series clutch

You're almost right but you gotta understand that hydro tranny and calbe tranny clutches are NOT COMPATABLE

Ok, SHUT UP, you non knowing mf'ers.

I KNOW this to be FACT, not heresay, because I went through it. FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.

90-91(Which is OBD0 cars) B series transmissions are a smaller diameter input shaft, which means the spline pattern on the clutch disk has to be smaller to fit. JDM or USDM, they are all the same.

92-01(Which is OBD1+) B series transmissions ALL have the same input shaft, which is SLIGHTLY oversized when compared to the 90-91, but the same spline count as the 90-91's. The clutch DOES NOT WORK on an earlier tranny. You will strip the splines out of the middle if you use a 92+ clutch on a 90-91 tranny. I've done it before. Trust me on this one.

90-93 Integra's were ALL cable actuated clutch systems, but 92-93 Integra's were OBD1. Honda got into an odd mix of shit with Integra's during these years.

Thank yah.... Thank yah very much.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Nov 4 2003, 10:10 PM

I KNOW this to be FACT, not heresay, because I went through it. FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.

90-91(Which is OBD0 cars) B series transmissions are a smaller diameter input shaft, which means the spline pattern on the clutch disk has to be smaller to fit. JDM or USDM, they are all the same.

92-01(Which is OBD1+) B series transmissions ALL have the same input shaft, which is SLIGHTLY oversized when compared to the 90-91, but the same spline count as the 90-91's. The clutch DOES NOT WORK on an earlier tranny. You will strip the splines out of the middle if you use a 92+ clutch on a 90-91 tranny. I've done it before. Trust me on this one.

90-93 Integra's were ALL cable actuated clutch systems, but 92-93 Integra's were OBD1. Honda got into an odd mix of shit with Integra's during these years.

Thank you for clearing this up, I have often wondered about this.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Nov 5 2003, 01:10 AM

Yep thats what i've been tryin to tell you . I just corrected you on your first post sayin u can use 92-2001. Which you are wrong. Yes 90-93 are cable. But when you said 92-01. You are also mentioning hydro tranny which you can't use there clutch on a cable tranny. Dont be getting all hostile. Its not worth it.

ok. basically all i needed to know was did it matter if i bought one from the US or if i had to go through all the difficulty of getting a JDM one. so here's what i'll do...

i will.... get one that goes into a 92+ since it's got the transmission from the XSi attached.

thanks... now i really know what i'm doing.... i hope. hahaha

Originally posted by mellowboy@Nov 5 2003, 10:43 AM
Yep thats what i've been tryin to tell you . I just corrected you on your first post sayin u can use 92-2001. Which you are wrong. Yes 90-93 are cable. But when you said 92-01. You are also mentioning hydro tranny which you can't use there clutch on a cable tranny. Dont be getting all hostile. Its not worth it.

If it's a 92 XSi tranny, you can use a 97 ITR clutch in it if you want. Just because the clutch is actuated by a cable or a hydraulic line doesn't mean shit to the clutch as long as it's the right size, and the throwout bearing is pushing on the pressure plate fingers.

Just to make sure you get what I'm saying above:

You CAN use a CABLE tranny from a 92-93 Integra with a Hydraulic B series clutch from a 94-01 Integra.

yea... all i was going to do was replace the clutch that came with the swap to be safe. do any of you have any suggestions on what else i should change? i plan to get new belts, a new water pump, clutch... anything else i should look at or change before i drop this sucker in??

thanks for all your help guys!

Back