1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally putting my kit together!

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by [Freemantle], May 17, 2004.

1. [Freemantle]

[Freemantle] Senior Member

Alright, I'm picking up all the little stuff for my kit. So far I have

Apexi SAFC
    RC 450s
    SH50 .63AR Turbo
    Walborough 255

I'm still in the process of finding the rest, but I'm hitting some problems. I can't seem to find any good manifolds for the H23!

Say I'm not harcore, but I'm moving to Florida and would like to keep my AC. I would have LOVED a Lovefab SS shorty, but there is nothing there for me now :(.

Full-race is way out of my price range, I would rather spend that money on a good intercooler and some dyno time.

I will not settle for a Drag CI manifold though.

Any solutions? It's hard to find H23/F22 (same exhaust pattern) love.

Another problem is that I cant seem to find a Missing Link system I could use. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but does anyone make a missing link equivalent for the H-Series?

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you don't need a missing link with the vafc. but anyway, a missing link is simply a check valve for the map sensor.... it's far from model specific.
    RC doesn't make 450s... they make 440s...

i think inlinepro.com makes an h-series manifold, but im not sure about the h23.

the standard full-race won't work with a/c anyway....

3. [Freemantle]

Sorry, I keep forgetting which one it is. The box says 440 though, good call.

4. [Freemantle]

Quick Q. I don't need to go and buy a resistor box because my Prelude uses peak-and-hold style stock injectors, right?

5. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

Couple things:

1. 92-96 H22A preludes use resistor box + 310cc. I think 92-96 H23s use a resistor box too - look by driver's shock tower. Square plug.
    2. You're a fool to use a FMU at this point. Your posts elsewhere have demonstrated that you're a smart guy. You're smart enough to chip an ECU and use Uberdata or Crome so you have proper ECU controlled boost instead of a wack ass FMU/missing link/AFC hack/etc.
    3. You'll find plenty of help for Uberdata in Florida :)
    4. If you are DIY-friendly, the F22/H23 exhaust flange is almost identical to a DSM. I've seen pictures of 2G DSM manifolds redrilled and bolted to F22 motors. If you're willing to re-drill it, you have a WEALTH of aftermarket headers to choose from.

6. [Freemantle]

My god, your right. I forgot totally about the similarity in our exhaust manifolds. I'd have to see the differences in pictures before I bought one, but that could be the answer.

Honsestly, I would LOVE to use Uberdata, my only problem is that (again) the H-Series dosen't get too much love with it. I've scoured their forums and most of the H-series peple barely have functioning base maps. I really don't want to install this it only to have it not even turn over. I know the AFC hack isn't perfect (boost ignition retard, top end leaning out), but right now Uber/Hondata don't seem to love me much. Also I'm leery to switch to a P28 ECU, as my secondaries go bye-bye, and I kind of like them.

7. radnulb

radnulb Senior Member

you're a good guy. your posts elsewhere have you on my good side.

I want to see your setup work for you. Get ahold of me via email, IM or PM and I'll help you out with some pictures of DSM vs H23 manifolds, base tunes for P06 running H23, ways to keep you secondaries, etc. There are ways, and most of them simply require a little more openmindedness, ingenuity and thought than the stereotypical person who wanders near online forums possesses. You've already proven yourself to be an exception to that rule. Hit me up.

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

awwww where the :wub:

hehe

but yeah man, you'll never miss the 2ndaries once you have boost :)

9. [Freemantle]

You're added to my ICQ. Damn, now I have a reputation to live up to. Better not say anything too stupid....

I Google'd for a while to find anything on people who did this project. There dosent seem to be any regularity in the drilling (i.e. the holes dont seem to be ovaled in a certian direction.

The fact that you can still use the H23 gasket is kind of nice too. I even found a picture of this setup in an F22 Accord chassis clearing a/c, which made me happy. Now I just need to figure out who makes good Talon/Eclipse/Evo manifolds. I might even go for the stock Evo manifold if I can find one in good condition and it flows what I need it to.

About the tuning, I have also heard that the secondaries aren't too important when you get away from N/A, and losing them dosent affect driveability too harshly when not under boost. Many of the people who were saying this I didn't see as too intellectual so I generally dismissed it (thinking they were disregarding filling efficiency and thinking more ports = more flow).

I would buy a USB burner tonight if you could give me a base map to work with. (well, I just quit my job in preperation for moving, so I had better get the employment thing down first). Waste or not, I'm enrolled for the next class of EFI 101 in August. I think Engine management is where I want to focus my career, and I'm making steps toward it. Working my own fuel/ignition maps would be a useful experience.

Anyway, back to my setup. So I've got a Turbo, a Fuel Pump, Injectors, and an SAFC (which I may end up selling). What should I go for next?

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

2nd'aries are going to hurt you about 10 ft/lbs at best. really, its nothing to worry about.

11. [Freemantle]

Just got back from the shop where they did all the below listed work. Speaking to him about DSM manifolds. Supposedly they have doe this job twice before (DSM--> H23). He even knew which holes had to be ovaled/redrilled.

He suggested that I Sell my unused T3/T04 .63 and buy a Mitsu turbo (like a td05-14b). What should I do? He says that DSM manifolds with T3 footprints are few and many are crappy, and that they could custom fab one. I know their welder, and I don't want them to custom make one. He said that he is sure that the T3 manifolds that I can get my hands on won't clear AC.

Suggestions? I really want to buy a quality manifold, even though I don't really ever plan on breaking the 300 mark with this car. Should I sell the SH-50 and buy a Mitsu turbo + change?

Also he said that the 2 other H-series Turbos he did blew out spark *terribly*. Both were H23s, one was tuned to 7psi (what I want to do for now), and the other was 14psi. Should a MSD system be in the cards for me? They are primarily a DSM shop so he could be erroneous in his statement.

12. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Is the Td05-14b a ball bearing turbo, if not stick with the t3/04.

13. [Freemantle]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted