Finally took some pictures of the Fusion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Go to an acura dealership and compare the gaps in the body panels. Fords are huge, because they build cars sloppy and leave alot of leeway. as do all american car companies.

Compare it to nissan, toyota, the cheapest BMW you can find. You'll see the same thing. Look at the window seals. Look for refinement. Push on your back bumper and watch it move. now push on a foreign car's rear bumper.

Look closely, check out all the minor details.

All new cars are shiny. But they are not build anywhere near the same.

Sorry, I'm still going to disagree. We will take my `98 Sentra for example, same year as your Honda. To me, that feels like a cheap car. The brakes are horrible, multiple sensors have broken, heater fan resistor card broke, rusts from the inside out and handles bad compared to the Hondas and GM's I've had. Its only got 98k on it too.

I was talking build quality as in how tight and firm the car is, if I close the door on a jag, bmw, acura, lex, you hear this sound that just sounds... solid, not sure how to say it. It's a sound I noticed with lux cars.

I think ford and gm both build cars that will run, and if not they both offer good warranties now so who cares anyways? but when you sit in the car and it feels like.... a cheap ass toy car. well thats what Im talking about. My honda had that feel, and I hated it. I do have to say the newer honda civics no doubt have a much better feeling to them.

I'd take a $25K accord over a $25K caddy anyday.

My Acura turned 42K miles last week. so far the only problems I've had with it are some rattles that happens when its cold. other then that the car has been very good to me. 270HP and made an AVG of 28MPG on my last trip... I can't complain.

A good example of what I'm bitching about is in I think it was a top gear review on the escalade, he talked about how the dash was like a picnic table bench, flat and straight, nothing more then a board called a dash. after sitting in a caddy I agree.

Last edited:
Gaps? Lets go back to my nissan again on that. It may help anyone who locks thier keys in the car. The door is so flimsy I can pull the top of it back and shove a stick in there to push the door lock. Unless I get a pair of calipers out, I can't tell the gap on half the cars anyway.

Who sits there and pushes on the bumper? As long as there was metal behind it, so if I were in a accident I'd be ok, I don't care. I would think if it had some give to it, that if I hit something at a slow speed it wouldn't crack.

I was talking build quality as in how tight and firm the car is, if I close the door on a jag, bmw, acura, lex, you hear this sound that just sounds... solid, not sure how to say it. It's a sound I noticed with lux cars.

I think ford and gm both build cars that will run, and if not they both offer good warranties now so who cares anyways? but when you sit in the car and it feels like.... a cheap ass toy car. well thats what Im talking about. My honda had that feel, and I hated it. I do have to say the newer honda civics no doubt have a much better feeling to them.

I'd take a $25K accord over a $25K caddy anyday.

My Acura turned 42K miles last week. so far the only problems I've had with it are some rattles that happens when its cold. other then that the car has been very good to me. 270HP and made an AVG of 28MPG on my last trip... I can't complain.

A good example of what I'm bitching about is in I think it was a top gear review on the escalade, he talked about how the dash was like a picnic table bench, flat and straight, nothing more then a board called a dash. after sitting in a caddy I agree.

I understand what you mean, but its almost like its an opinion, or perception. I agree, if you own an 80's American car, well I hope you have stock in Autozone. But when I sit in an American car vs a Honda, I don't really see that much of a difference. Seems like they had built bad cars in the past and people still think that, but when I see an entire fleet of domestic cars that run fine for much more than 100k, I don't see a difference. Whats a car that runs to 200k vs 300k they are both $500 cars at that point anyway.

I understand what you mean, but its almost like its an opinion, or perception. I agree, if you own an 80's American car, well I hope you have stock in Autozone. But when I sit in an American car vs a Honda, I don't really see that much of a difference. Seems like they had built bad cars in the past and people still think that, but when I see an entire fleet of domestic cars that run fine for much more than 100k, I don't see a difference. Whats a car that runs to 200k vs 300k they are both $500 cars at that point anyway.

I can't speak about the newer honda civics I do think the civics are a bit better now, but the Accord is no doubt a very well built car. The price tag also shows it.

Im a mechanic, I also drive tow truck on the side. I can say from experience Ford is by far the most towed and worked on vehicle on the road. I have had no direct contact with the fusion as of yet.
About 6 months ago a 99 f-150 came into the shop with a couple of dead cylinders, 5.4l v-8. It ended up having a hole the size of a dime in one of the pistons and smaller chunks gone out of others. Can you say detonation?
This was caused by a serious problem that is very common in ford vehicles. The maf got dirty. Thats right a dirty mass air flow sensor. It got coated with debris and caused the engine to run extremely lean. BOOM!
So I order a new, not rebuilt, a new 5.4 longblock directly from ford. Needless to say i cleaned the maf and install the engine. Everything runs smoothly on startup except for a bit of smoke, I thought possbily the rings, or maybe a few seals werent quite seated so I let it run for a half hour or so more than a normal cam breakin period. Well it continues to smoke.
I shut it off and go to lunch, when I come back to start it up it wont turn over. So i start pulling plugs and sure enough its hydrolocked. At that point the started to look like a no-proffit type deal and I sent the truck to a Ford dealership. Afterall thier longblock, thier problem and I dont end up losing money gettin paid to replace and enigne once and doing it twice.
Ford replaced it with another longblock and got the customer back on the road. Later when they disassembled the engine to determine the cause of failure they found a pinhole directly from a cooling passage into cylinder #6. That doesnt say much for "Ford Quality".
Over the last 5 years or so weve seen quite a few cases where the maf problem has caused a blown motor. Another huge problem with the new ford aluminum motors is the amount of threads they leave in the head for the sparkplug. I regularly have to helicoil or replace a head due to the the sparkplug blowing right out of the head and taking the threads with it, this also breaks the coilpack mounting point when it goes.
I also replace more Ford alternators, starters, and auto-trannies than any other make on the road. So pray ford has fixed the thread problem and pull your maf regularly and clean the element with a little bit of brake clean(not as caustic as carb clean).
Not trying to flame you man, I just have to state that I have no faith whatsoever in Ford products. Good luck with your new car.

Christ guys... the guy wants to show off his Fusion, not debate quality about it.

The Ford runs well, doesn't it? I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories on Fords, just let him drive his car and be happy with it.

I'm not insulting or defending any car make and model anymore, just seems too damn petty.

lol well the honda crowd is known for their passion. we <3 our vehicles. ur right tho. it's a new car. clean slate.

please do keep us updated if any weird issues develop.

Build Quality:
1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2door : "Cla-a-a-a-ang!"
1994 Honda Civic DX Hatch: "Thunk"
...(and the hatch struts still work)
2004 Honda Civic Lx Coupe: (My current project): "click" (fingerpush)
...(the only noise I hear is the pressure equalization flapsin the trunk

Solution:
Buy Dynamat... and lots of it...
I took out my window motor assemblies to Dynamat
.... how bout you?;)

Last edited:
Back