Finals

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

that is true...taking an AP math right now an it's so easy.

I took AP history and chemistry in high school. I didn't do well enough on either of the tests to get credit, but when I basically retook them my first year in college, they were alot easier and alot less work than in high school.

yeah it does. You have to get 4's on the tests to get credit at my college, and I got 3's on them.

What do any of you guys know about online college courses as opposed to going to campus, sitting in a room with a professor, as far as difficulty doing it, quality of degree, etc?

The reason I ask is not only am I burnt out on school, but my mom is moving out this summer, into an apartment closer to her work. If she sells the house for anything more than she owes, then she has to give half to her stalker ex husband, who harasses her daily, and she decided that if I wanted, that she'd sell it to me for what she owes, or I'd just make the payments. Now, there are a total of 5 rooms in the house, and I have found 4 very reliable people who would be more than happy to move in, and split the rent. After everything, it's going to be about $250ish a month per person, for everything. This is including groceries at Sam's Club (Wholesale FTW.) This is a deal I can't pass up, because as far as a house, I'm good for the rest of my life. It's not every day this type of opportunity is thrown at you. If I go to college, on campus, it will limit the amount that I can work, for the bills. If I do online courses, I figure that I can work what I need to, and do the classes on my time each day, but I don't know anything about them. Any info?

Like I said earlier, I don't know, but I don't know if you can do online undecided? I guess if I had to pick right this second, I'd like to go into some sort of business retail/management or something, I deal with people very well, and I don't mind them even when they give you hell.

A four year degree requires alot of gen-ed classes. id knock thoes out online, but in person experience would be the best for classes that matter, IMO

Get the gen eds knocked out quick and maybe take a class or two in something that interests you. This way you get the gen eds out of the way without taking too many classes that could become useless if you change your major. Try not to change your major too much.

Yep. Take your required classes and such. Honestly you can do a lot online, but make sure they go towards an accredited university or community college that transfers directly to a university.

When I say make sure, I mean get a hold of both institutions pass syllabi around and clarify that you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot if you plan on applying these general education classes to a selected major.

As for the online course thing, if you're not motivated, its very difficult to commit time and dedication to the online work. Some colleges offer online courses that are jokes, but many times an online course is as difficult or more difficult than a regular course because 1) you don't have a person physically in front of you, explaining the material in their own terms, 2) you don't have classes to go to, so you procrastinate and don't force yourself to do your work unless you're highly focused and driven and 3) many times they expect as much or more work through online courses.

As with what J (slammed) said, make sure that the online courses transfer to well known institutions. I took one online course at county and got a C in it, which was by far my worst grade - I just didn't put any time or effort into the course, I actually had forgotten about it and didn't check the website until I was supposed to have much of a huge project already finished.

If you can get away with it and its on a general topic that you already have knowledge on, and it will transfer to whatever school you'd like to go to, then by all means do it.

Since my school is a small school that prides itself on classroom interaction and the quality of the staff, we have no online course opportunities but they did accept that one online management course I took in county. I learned far less than all the individuals here that took the "equivalent" course and when I started to get into 300 and 400 level courses, many professors were referring back to the knowledge I was supposed to have learned in the 200 level course.

Just food for thought.

ahhhh...so great to have my bachelors...havent had to worry about finals for a year now...i should prollie go for the masters though...hmmm

I would only do the masters if your work is going to pay for it or if it will help you in your career, if not don't waste the time. Thats my stance atleast.

^ werd.

half the time a bachelors is a waste of time too.

unless you want to be a teacher, or going for your MBA, or med school/sciences/engenieering, i think a masters is a waste

Back