1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding oil leaks

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by japspec01, Feb 14, 2004.

1. japspec01

japspec01 Junior Member

I have an oil leak coming from somewhere in my engine that's driving me nuts. It first seems to be only one leak coming from the main seal. But oil seems to be coming from every direction on my engine now. How do you guys check for oil leaks to pinpoint where there coming from? Is there a certain technique?

2. swanny

swanny Senior Member

degrease your engine, take it for a spin and inspect.

3. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

degrease your engine and get some ultravoilet dye and put it in your your engine where you would normally put in oil. Then get a small black light of some sort. Take the car for a smal ride then come back and shine the black light on the engine where u might think it is leaking and the dye will light up

4. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

that technique is the best for confusing or mutiple leaks, but it is to be performed on a lift. if you drive your car and then check, odds are the oil and dye will be blown everywhere, now you've got a day-glo engine.

5. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

well unless u want to wait around for it to leak on its own that there is no real other way to check without driving it....also for that matter if u degrease it and then afre going to wait around u could more or less just look for oil and not worry about the dye and tyhe point of it is to track where the dye is the brightest and most concentrated....also last time i checked jackstands and a creeper work just fine if u have no acces to a lift. And 90% of oil leaks come with oil pressure so u must atleast let the car run or drive it

6. japspec01

japspec01 Junior Member

Thanks for yur replys guys. Good info :D

7. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

Don't forget the Shake & Bake method. :D

Flour or baby powder on the engine, then look for the leak that's on top of the powder.

8. brc80

brc80 Senior Member

I had i leak like that and no matter what i did i coulndt find it, id replace one seal just to have it leak again. Truns out all my seals were bas so i was just pushing the oil to the next bad seal.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted