finished hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im more into the body fabrications and body work and what not on honda's i have basic knowledge about things..but not really the point of building them

Oh ok I was about to ask why you're gonna bother building it haha. Inspect all the belts, check alignment, get a service manual and do the routine tune-up for 100k miles.

see this is where i dont have to do this shit...my dads a ASE cirtified master technician ....so he does all my work....lol...cheap labor...all i do is supply the beer lol....but all thats good..and taken care of....is there any advise u guys can give me once i start the build things to look out for or anything like that?

iight...note taken....but they have a dyno at my dads shop...but i seriously dont think they have the program or anything to tune it....guess ill just have to find a place that does just tune's.....

im deff gonna get it tuned before i drive it ...but say i do boost it and dont tune it....what could/will happen? like i say...this part of cars is pretty new to me ...so im just asking so i can educate my self on things ...sorry for all the questions and what not

If you boost and don't tune you'll either blow up the engine really quick, or have a HIGH chance of causing detonation that could really shorten the engine's life. At the very least get your ecu chipped and upload a base setting for a similar set-up to get you to a tune shop or learn how to do it yourself...there's plenty of websites that have downloadable tuning software and programs and tell you exactly how to use it.

ok...thanks for that info....can u send me any links to any of those websites at all...if u could that would be great

I don't exactly remember them I just search around on other forums and on google. Check out D-series.org I know you're not working with a D-series engine, but in their electronics section I think I remember reading a lot on tuning and electronics, ecu's, chips, programs like Neptune, Uberdata, Turboedit, Crome, and how to tune with some of them.

ok thanks man....ill check um out and see whats up...if u come across any more by chance...let me know ....thanks again

ok first of all its not that i CANT do it....i do help him with everything he does on my car....every time....he just knows more about what hes doing than i do...so he can help me get it done quicker....

how do u know when your motor is broke in....like i said before...its a stock ls with just over 100k on it .....i mean i understand u mean to break it in once i start doing the mods...but whats the break in period ?

and every time i add a new part do i have to break each new part in?...or get it tuned again with each new part?

i know what u mean...but thats how i learn....he just kinda walks me thru it...as we go...its just the way i learn...im a visual learner...u could tell me how to do sumthin all day and ill just be like...hmmmmmmm...but u actully show me and let me do it first hand....ill learn it a hell of a lot faster

I'm the same way with the visual learner but if you want a car that is somewhat different do a supercharger. or a twin turbo setup. If you could figure out how to setup a twin turbo setup like they have on the supra, they have one turbo that spools the other. set your shit up like that and see what it can do.

what about replacing the valve cover gasket and throttle body gasket....since im goin to be replacing the timing belt and what not i mean since im goin to have it all ripped apart any ways?.....and then should i get a compression test done?...and if so...what should the compression be?

I don't know about the valve cover and throttle body gasket, but if you plan on running boost I have a suggestion that will save you money in the long run. ARP head studs, and a new head gasket. cheap insurance for the long run.

yea i was planning on getting new head studs....b.c if i boost it im just goint to stretch the stock ones out...so im goin to need some that are going to hold....i did think about that....but thanks...and i have a skunk 2 intake manifold i plan on putting on when i do the timing belt...and thats y i was asking if i should go ahead and do the gaskets since im already goin to have the things apart...and like i said the motor has just over 100k on it...so im sure it wouldnt hurt to replace them with some upgraded ones.....and if any one knows of a good valve and throttle body gaskets....let me know please...thanks again for any info ppl....keep it up...

First of all get a factory service manual for any car you're doing any engine work on. Period. It will answer all of your questions like "what should compression be" and everything else.

Back