finished my buddys lsvtec but the motor dies when he steps on the gas!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

OK this has been a long adventure and i want it to be over! my buddy bought an lsvtec turbo motor from this guy locally. he didn't want to spend the money on getting new parts such as a tensionor and water pump so he put all that together. we got the motor in the car, did a lot of work to get it in and all! so finally we got everything in and everything running, went to start the car and boom it started on the first shot i was happy! when he stepped on the gas my smile turned upside down! he stepped on the gas and it almost shut off, he let go and it went back to idle, stepped on it and almost died again. cel is on but the only code we got was the second o2 sensor we forgot to plug it in. What else can it be? i think it is the timing from the timing belt but those damn aem gears are kind of hard to read. so i want to know if anyone can snap a pic for me of there aem cam gears at tdc for me so i can check that also! thanks guys

That happened to me when I swapped a B16 into my 97 civic. Turned out to be a vacuum hose not connected.

Check compression.. and spark plug gap. I assume you put in a new fuel filter when you did this? Also, if you have the tools handy, check fuel pressure.

Swap the MAP sensor plug with the TPS plug, and the TPS plug with the MAP sensor plug

didn't check compression which is not a bad idea being that the motor has 0 miles on it fresh rebuild, fuel pressure is at 42 psi spark gap is perfect and brand new and fuel filter is new as well. we changed the ecu today and it started right up! but it idles up and down over and over again and when he stepped on the gas it went up pretty smooth until 3k we didn't want to rev to high yet!

i'm say fuel pressure my car did that a while back, well somewhat .. not the extent you said.. its probably a combination of things

civiclxb16 said:
didn't check compression which is not a bad idea being that the motor has 0 miles on it fresh rebuild, fuel pressure is at 42 psi spark gap is perfect and brand new and fuel filter is new as well. we changed the ecu today and it started right up! but it idles up and down over and over again and when he stepped on the gas it went up pretty smooth until 3k we didn't want to rev to high yet!

Did you try swapping the MAP sensor plug with the TPS plug, and the TPS plug with the MAP sensor plug?

thats gotta be a vacuum leak. Same thing happened when we did turbo on my buddys ls/vtec. The missing link had a plug that had fallen out and caused the same sort of symptoms your talking about. As soon as you covered the hole with your finger the engine would start idiling fine. Good luck.

ok got to work on the motor today and i checked the cels and i have two cel to take care of one is code 14 which is IAC and the other is code 22 vtec oil pressure. now what do i got to do to take care of that code 14 code 22 i know what to do with that let me know what you guys got for me!

code 14 is iac, there are 2 plugs that are hte same, make sure you have the right one in the correct space. otherwise, pull the iac off, clean it and reinstall it.

brian11to1 said:
code 14 is iac, there are 2 plugs that are hte same, make sure you have the right one in the correct space. otherwise, pull the iac off, clean it and reinstall it.
love you man! you hit it on the head we had the wrong wire plugged in! now all we got is code 22! that we know what is wrong the sensor plug is broken so we need to hook it up some how but that is what we needed fixed!

Third time's a charm??

So, no more running issues or is it still going to hell when you give it gas??

Compression?

scottp11 said:
That was said back in post #4 and #7...
No, actually it wasnt.

What he was told to switch was the MAP and TPS sensor plugs, not to check the IACV plug and to make sure the correct one was plugged in.

thanks brian but no there is only one cel and that is for the vtec because the plug is broken

brian11to1 said:
No, actually it wasnt.

What he was told to switch was the MAP and TPS sensor plugs, not to check the IACV plug and to make sure the correct one was plugged in.

You're right, my bad...

well we took the car out for a spin and when came back oil was flying all over the place! we cut off the motor and cleaned it up put some oil back in with some color die and we started the car and stepped on the gas and oil was coming out again, its coming from the lower timing belt cover almost right where the crank gear is. what could it be?

I hope it's just your oil pan gasket... If not....

civiclxb16 said:
well we took the car out for a spin and when came back oil was flying all over the place! we cut off the motor and cleaned it up put some oil back in with some color die and we started the car and stepped on the gas and oil was coming out again, its coming from the lower timing belt cover almost right where the crank gear is. what could it be?

i'm assuming you got the motor for a steal;) JK.

yeah thats not a good problem to have when you buy a motor. I'm thinking oil pump, or pan gasket.

Back