Firefox Flaw Announced

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

... and everybody should convert to american standard from metric... hah.

i don't get why everybody hates on ms/ie.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Feb 8 2005, 09:49 AM
i thought everyone spoke and wrote english now... other languages should be banned! lol :)
[post=457964]Quoted post[/post]​

why would you not want to learn other languages....i think limiting yourself in knowledge is ignorant....i'm spanish and i consider spanish my second language because i grew up in the states....i'm also learning french and italian........ also in todays business world the more languages you know the better....try something new. B)

would you honeslt go to <insertchinesse symbol here> as a website? doubtful.

if you're stupid enough to do so, you deserve a virus- regardless of what browser you use.

its like going to givemefreespyware.com

c'mon B, you're smarter than that... that's not what they're saying. they're worried about somebody being linked to a site that looks like it has the url of a trusted site and being scammed that way.
The newly discovered exploit takes advantage of the fact that characters that look alike can have two separate codes in Unicode and thus appear to the computer as different. For example, Unicode for "a" is 97 under the Latin alphabet, but 1072 in Cyrillic.

Subbing one for the other can allow a scammer to register a domain name that looks to the human as "paypal.com," tricking users into giving passwords and other sensitive information at what looks like a legitimate site.

^^^ Thats what I was thinking. All they have to do, is make it so that each different character set when typed is displayed with a different color so you know that if the "a" in paypal is red, that it is NOT the same as paypal (all letters in black). I win. Problem solved.

How to not get scammed at paypal or any other site that deals with your personal info/money.

Load the site. Manually type in the URL. NEVER click a link from email, etc.

right click in the middle of no where after you MANUALLY TYPE IN: https://www.paypal.com

[attachmentid=95]

note the red arrows. these will always be on the correc tpaypal site. the LOCK icon means secure. https means Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure. It uses 128-bit encryption.

then, when you right click on the middle of no where, select "View Page Info"

this will open this box:

[attachmentid=98]

click the security tab to show this menu.

[attachmentid=97]

if the website is really what it says it is, it will say so.

paypa1 (note the one (1) .com cannot have a paypal.com certificate.

if it says anything other than what is pictured- LEAVE AT ONCE.

if you want to go one more step- you can clilck on the view button there to open up the SHA1 hashes.

[attachmentid=96]

waalaah. you are secure from l3t hackerz

Attachments

• pp.JPG
    pp.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 227
  • ss1.JPG
    ss1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 195
  • secuirty.JPG
    secuirty.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 238
  • ss2.JPG
    ss2.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 180
Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 8 2005, 05:29 PM
^^^ Thats what I was thinking. All they have to do, is make it so that each different character set when typed is displayed with a different color so you know that if the "a" in paypal is red, that it is NOT the same as paypal (all letters in black). I win. Problem solved.
[post=458198]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats fine for knowledgable computer users Brian, but think of the millions of folks that really only know how to get email and visit www.barney.com. Granted, it's their own stupidity, but the fact remains most people would not know how to do it...

and as i've said before, if you'er stupid enough to put your creditcard number, or login to a paypal site that isn't payapl, or hell, even reply to one of those Wamu Account Notification emails that i get 5 times a day, or 3 ebay account notification verfication emails that i get a day- a browser isn't going to do a thing for you.

if you're stupid enough to willingly submit your personal finance info to some random site without doing your home work first, i have 0 pity for you. Get you're self learned.

yes, i along with a lot of people here am an advanced user- but even my mom knows that "the cute little lock thingge" means shes safe.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 10 2005, 07:52 AM
Probably old news....

http://www.astalavista.com/?section=news&c...ils&newsid=1106
[post=458975]Quoted post[/post]​

These bugs are all fixed in Firefox 1.0 and newer, and Thunderbird 0.9 and newer.

so, they were talking about the old version.

and once again, if you're not running the latest version of everything, you're at twice the risk- what ever the program.

Back