First extrasolar rock planet found (mu Arae)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/08/26/n...anet/index.html

They call it earth-like, but with a year of 10 days and a surface temp of about 900 kelvin, I won't be booking my reservations just yet.

They also said that two other planets were found orbiting the same star. Being the geek I am, I rev up Celestia and check it out. Sure enough, two planets. Weird ass orbits though...

muarae.jpg

Those orbit's are weird... I'm REALLY suprised more of our planets orbits aren't FUBAR'ed like that, though... Isn't Pluto and Planet X like REALLY close to overlapping? Not like this, just barely overlapping.

Yeah, found it online. Odd.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 27 2004, 02:22 AM
Those orbit's are weird... I'm REALLY suprised more of our planets orbits aren't FUBAR'ed like that, though... Isn't Pluto and Planet X like REALLY close to overlapping? Not like this, just barely overlapping.

[post=382562]Quoted post[/post]​

I updated Celestia with the info for Sedna, the tenth planet (they're still debating it being a planet) and whooooooooooa it is OUT THERE. There is no way it will come close to intersecting.

If you put Pluto where Earth is, Sedna would be where Pluto was. It's really out there.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 27 2004, 02:22 AM

[post=382562]Quoted post[/post]​

That'd be Neptune, and both plants orbit the sun like the earth, it's not as eliptical as those two planets' orbits... just pluto comes inside of neptune for a part of it's orbit.

my very eager mother just served us nine pizzas

holy shit, that actually worked... i remembered all the planets.

mercury venus earth mars jupiter saturn uranus neptune pluto. woo.

yeah, the picture I was looking at was pretty vague about which orbit was which...

Here's a much better one.

orbit_plot_outer_sm.jpg

Sweet. I've fallen behing on my astronomy. I used to work for the astronomy department at the museum here in Houston. You pick up all kinds of neato stuff in a job like that- not to mention you get all the high powered telescope time you want.

:)

planet X is controversial to say the least...

described as the 12th planet in ancient texts...

said to have a highly eliptic orbit of approx 3600 years, the orbit takes it far beyond pluto or neptune and back into the inner solar system...

the ancient summerian texts say this planet is responsible for the frequent pole shifts that occur on earth... it is also said to be responsible for the asteroid belt, which was once a planet that was destroyed when one of planet X's moons struck it on one of the passes through the inner solar system...

the crators on earth are said to be caused by planet X passing through the asteroid belt and pulling objects along with it towards earth resulting in impacts...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 27 2004, 10:12 AM
planet X is controversial to say the least...

described as the 12th planet in ancient texts...

said to have a highly eliptic orbit of approx 3600 years, the orbit takes it far beyond pluto or neptune and back into the inner solar system...

the ancient summerian texts say this planet is responsible for the frequent pole shifts that occur on earth... it is also said to be responsible for the asteroid belt, which was once a planet that was destroyed when one of planet X's moons struck it on one of the passes through the inner solar system...

the crators on earth are said to be caused by planet X passing through the asteroid belt and pulling objects along with it towards earth resulting in impacts...
[post=382646]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds a bit like Sedna, but it doesn't come back into the inner solar system.

Have you heard of the theory of Orpheus? It says that there was a planet at one time between Earth and Mars, a bit smaller than both. That planet crashed into Earth at a very low angle and what's left of it is now our moon. Several calculations have been done and each one of them come out correct. It explains why we have a moon that we shouldn't have because of it's size.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Aug 27 2004, 04:32 AM
tight shit man...i'm very interested in this type of shit...might make it a career...still deciding tho. anyway...check out the pictures of the rings of saturn (if you already haven't) pretty crazy shit.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...atest/index.cfm
[post=382578]Quoted post[/post]​

hey look...its the Death Star:

PIA05423.jpg

i downloaded celestia, installed it but it wont open? the window opens then it just closes again. what gives?

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 27 2004, 10:17 AM
anyone else on here interested in planet X?
[post=382607]Quoted post[/post]​

I am! Investigating our vast universe is so interesting. It puts everything else in perspective. Looking up at the stars from a rest area in Wyoming this summer was amazing! Saw the Milky Way from Manatee Key in Florida a few weeks ago... astromony is awesome!

i dont understand.. we are in the milky way galaxy correct?..but how r we able to see it on earth like its so far away?

Back