First Gen B16 Alternator Fitment Issue.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OldSchoolSwap

I have a first gen JDM B16 and the alternator crapped out. Naturally, i did not panic and went over to the local auto parts and got a 94-95 DOHC Del Sol B16 Alternator.
Just to find out that the dimensions are diffrent and does not work/fit.

I also tried a sohc but don't work either.

Off what car would i have to get this alternator here in the U.S. ?

try a 93 GSR or 94-95!!

or a LS one should work like a 91-93!!

hmm I think I am running a LS OBD0 Alternator on my dam OBD 1 SIR II!!

I bought it from a guy who sells cars I know that foo don't have not OBD1 GSR!!!

soo had to be off a LS or something!!

I don't think i've tried the 90-91 Teg.
I was thinking about it, but wanted to confirm this with you guys.
If anyone can confirm, please let me know. If not, i guess i have to bug Auto Zone again :)

I've heard that all the OBD0 and OBD1 B series alternators are similar... Maybe you got one from an OBD2 Del Sol VTEC?

I got one from a friend, that I have NO idea what car it cam off of. Looks exactly the same as the one off ym car, down to that p/n stamped on it.

dont know what your issue is.......but i also have a B16A 88-91 and used an alternator from a 94 Civic Del Sol. everything fits fine. exactly the same......dont know what your question is.

Originally posted by solblu@May 13 2003, 11:58 AM
NO what part of the alternator didn't fit?

The bottom bolts on fine. The top bracket does not match with the Alternator's ear.
This motor came with the bottom bracket but did not come with the top one. I purchased the upper bracket at Honda. I got it for a Del sol B16 motor.

The only thing that i could think of at this point, is that the first gen's B16's have a diffrent top bracket or even both, top and bottom are not the same as the second Gen B16's.

Remeber, 1st gens never made it to the U.S. and some parts are not the same on the second gens.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@May 13 2003, 12:33 PM
I've heard that all the OBD0 and OBD1 B series alternators are similar... Maybe you got one from an OBD2 Del Sol VTEC?

I got one from a friend, that I have NO idea what car it cam off of. Looks exactly the same as the one off ym car, down to that p/n stamped on it.

Del Sols are OBD1. 99 Si civics are OBD2
OBD2 started after 96 if not mistaken.

My car is OBD0 (pre OBD) so they might have designed this fucker diffrently. The OBD1 plug works though, it gives no problems electrical wise. Just fittment issues.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@May 14 2003, 12:10 AM
Maybe the idiots at Autozone gave you an Accord or Prelude alternator?

Nope, cuz i tried those fuckers too! i'm desperate bro! :D Even asked for the CRV but did not have it in stock... lol

Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap+May 14 2003, 01:20 PM-->
@May 13 2003, 12:33 PM

Del Sols are OBD1. 99 Si civics are OBD2
OBD2 started after 96 if not mistaken.

My car is OBD0 (pre OBD) so they might have designed this fucker diffrently. The OBD1 plug works though, it gives no problems electrical wise. Just fittment issues.

Excuse me if I'm mistaken here... Del Sol VTEC's were around in 96 and 97, right?

All Honda's from 96-01+ were/are OBD2. That includes Del Sol's.

[edit] This Just In From CarFacts.com [/edit]

The 1997 Civic del Sol is available in three models. The Civic del Sol is unchanged after some mid-1996 minor enhancements. The removable roof top simply unlatched with two levers and stored in a mounting rack in the trunk. With the roof open, the airflow is directly circulate around the cabin for better air deflection. The S model standard engine meets the California (Low Emission Vehicle) standards. The S model also offers a higher gas mileage of 33 city and 38 highway as compared to other models. All models come equipped with a power rear window for added ventilation. The VTEC engine is standard on all models except for the S models. The anti-lock brakes are only available on VTEC model. Alloy wheels are standard on Si and VTEC.

OK not that it matters to much, but the Del Sol VTEC's were OBD1 and 2

Now back to the subject. ALL the B blocks are pretty much the same. If the Alternator doesn't fit you are doing something wrong. All you have to do is run the bolt through the upper mount into the alternator. If you got a VTEC Sol one then the VTEC Sol alternator would fit wouldn't it ??? Try to take a pic you must either have the wrong mount or the wrong alternator.

Back