First Honda Project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MDS108405

Hey all, new to the forums here. Hope to learn a lot from everyone, and hopefully contribute some myself. Anyway, heres where I'm at.

Havn't been around the import scene for quite a few years now. After racking up an impressive moving violations record, going to UTI to become a mechanic, and in the process, acquiring an interest in american v-8s, I got rid of my CRX and never looked back. A few months after graduating school, I also slowly lost interest in being a mechanic.... I sell Fords now.

Long story short, I still want to eventually open a tuner shop one day. My interest in imports has been rekindled. As I have forgotten a lot of what I learned in school, I figured a nice easy project car would be a perfect way to brush up on my skills. With EASY being the main requirement for this project, Honda came to mind. I want to pick up a cheap car, strip it down to nothing, and rebuild ground up with mild modifications along the way. Reliability is my main concern here. I need to build myself a nice daily driver that will last for many years to come. Hence, the complete ground up rebuild to make sure the chosen car is completely rust free, and that each and every componant from the frame up is in good, safe working condition.

So my question to you guys is, what car would you recommend? What engine swaps would you recommend? Keep in mind, I'm only looking for around 225-250 whp. No boost or anything. No 300+ HP monsters here. I'll keep the big HP numbers reserved for the 99' Vette I'm picking up soon. Keep in mind the following guidelines for a recommendation.

Must be a RELIABLE daily driver
Not looking to go crazy on the money, 8-9K at the most
Must be a relativly easy build

I was personally thinking an early 90's Civic, maybe with a ZC swap. Thanks in advance for any recommendations guys.

first off, i wouldn't get anything older than the EG (92 & up) - a lot easier to swap engines in - you can find EG 3 door hatches pretty reasonable - 220-225 whp all motor is going to be tough without putting a lot of money into it, and then it won't be all that reliable - no way you can ever get anything close to that hp with a ZC - you might want to look at a B18C1 GSR or B18C5 Integra Type R - a little more money but the horsepower is already there as stock

Back