First Honda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Swap fan

Hey guys i bought my first Honda!
Its a 91 Crx HF.
but a few questions:
1. I have no idea what engine is in it?

DSCN1045-1.jpg

ar10131012_01.jpg

ar10151014.jpg

2. When i fresh start in the morning its at 1500rpm, then when operating normal temperature it drops all the way down to about 400rpm is that normal? Or is there any way of fixing this?
heard something about Fast Idle Control Valve, anything wud help

3. No a/c. Radiator looks fine but i noticed the fan doesnt come on. Help?:eek:

4. I now pronounce you, Man & Honda. You may now kiss your paychecks good bye!

Last edited:
Hey guys i bought my first Honda!
Its a 91 Crx HF.
but a few questions:
1. I have no idea what engine is in it?

2. When i fresh start in the morning its at 1500rpm, then when operating normal temperature it drops all the way down to about 400rpm is that normal? Or is there any way of fixing this?
heard something about Fast Idle Control Valve, anything wud help

3. No a/c. Radiator looks fine but i noticed the fan doesnt come on. Help?:eek:

4. I now pronounce you, Man & Honda. You may now kiss your paychecks good bye!

#1 there should be an engine code stamped on the front lower portion of the engine.

#2 not sure, I don't have a tach, but I know my Honda always idles fast at startup until it warms up.

#3 don't know

#4 Honda's aren't expensive to maintain. You can make them expensive once you start dropping different motors, turboing, all that good stuff.

That looks like a stock HF motor. Floor it, if it feels like 62hp, then it's definitely an HF motor (D15b6).

Yes, that idle is a little off. Check all your vacuum lines and make sure they're all connected and that they're not leaking (put some water mixed w/ dish soap on them and look for bubbles). Also check to see if you have enough coolant.

My rad fan never came on in my CRX either. If it's not overheating, don't worry about it.

Unless you mod the car, it should be cheap to maintain. Being an HF, it'll get great gas mileage. I got about 50mpg average in my '90 HF.

Finally, Welcome to the world of honda, the CRX is one of the best cars ever made. Enjoy her and treat her well.

yeah a good resting idle should be around 800rpm for a rex. now show us the rest of the car!! :thumbsup:

One more piece of advice, buy a Haynes/Chilton's/Similar repair manual. It will be well worth your money.

I've yet to get a paperback manual, but I do have a digital copy of one. I was thinking of printing it out, but it's like almost 2000 pages long :ph34r:.
it's a good book. it's what they use at the dealership. i think they run about $50 if you order it online. might be able to try ebay or something.

D15B6

• Found in:
    • 1988-1991 Honda CRX HFx
      • Displacement : 1493 cm³
      • Bore and Stroke : 75 mm X 84.5 mm
      • Compression : 9.1:1
      • Power : 62 hp(88-89) 72 hp(90-91)@ 4500 & 83 ft·lbf @ 2800 rpm
      • Valvetrain : SOHC (2 valves per cylinder)
      • Fuel Control : OBD-0 MPFI

You can buy a Chiltons/Helm's manual for cheap, but you can also get AllData for $945945044329 a month! :) GO ALLDATA! ;x

You can buy a Chiltons/Helm's manual for cheap, but you can also get AllData for $945945044329 a month! :) GO ALLDATA! ;x

we use alldata at school and it sucks sweaty donkey balls.

give me a paper helms or the downloads I use now any day over alldata.

hey.. I have an hf also and it always idles at 400 rpm. I know a honda mechanic and he told me that the HF always idles like that.

mine doesnt even come up when i idle at normal operating temps. but it sounds like the engine is operating normal. idk. when i step on the gas it comes up also. im confused. any tips?

Back