First person view, bike crash.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Reading her post, she has said nothing about sheet rock. the guy just slammed the brakes (no ABS) and locked all 4 tires up.

Biker Catches Her Own Frightening Accident On Tape

Last Updated:
02-15-06 at 5:27PM

Dawn Champion has bumps, bruises and pain. But at this point, she thinks she has no broken bones following a crash she taped Friday with her helmet camera.

“When I first observed the smoke coming from his tires, I was watching him, trying to figure out what he was doing and where he was going to go,†she explained.

Dawn, who has logged over 200,000 miles on motorcycles, says her goal was to slip between the car that hit her and the one to her right.

It’s tough to hear on the tape, but the driver of the spinning car tries to blame Dawn for the crash. Little does he know at that point that she has the whole thing on tape.

“I’m very glad I had the camera,†she said.

New York Mike is arguably San Diego’s best known biker. News 8 showed him the video, and he supports Dawn’s split-second decision making.

“She did the best job she could… she made the best choice she could,†he said.

“You want to look at where you’re going, and you’re scanning way in front of you all the time,†he added.

We also showed the video to San Diego Police, who say helmet cameras are rare, but seeing this they can definitely see their value.

“It's a lot easier than going out in the roadway and trying to figure out what happened with the skid marks, which is generally what we have to do,†spokesperson Todd Sluss said.

Makes you wonder – does New York Mike want a video helmet?

“No, I don’t,†he said. “There's enough crazy things I do on motorcycles.â€

News story the local paper ran, still nothing about the car hitting anything other then the bike.

New York Mike is arguably San Diego’s best known biker. News 8 showed him the video, and he supports Dawn’s split-second decision making.

“She did the best job she could… she made the best choice she could,†he said.

Makes you wonder – does New York Mike want a video helmet?

“No, I don’t,†he said. “There's enough crazy things I do on motorcycles.â€

Thanks, New York Mike, you're cunt of the week. Nice way to make her credibility get overshadowed by your stupid ass. Kudos, ass bandit.

The thing that was in the road was the HOV lane diamond and 'HOV' lettering...

no sheetrock.

Sheetrock? Where do you people come up with this stuff?

HON2005042142860_pv.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

This is the still I'm thinking of. This is beyond the triangle, and he appears to have hit his brakes upon seeing it not just contacting with it.

And there is some sort of debris there, and when the tire hits that white "material" the airborne particulate appears to double in volume: Suggesting that the first batch of white particulate is burning rubber smoke, the second, stronger batch is the disturbed and pulverized sheetrock.

I still see what I claimed.

i dunno... over here, we just have the <> logos. no text... i dont know about cali's HOV lanes

I know he drove over the Diamond. That's clear in the video. But then, he hit the brakes (After he saw something else) and the car started to slow down (By slow down, I mean brake locked on) and then it hit something white in the road (AFTER the damned diamond) and differential inertia took over.

The tires started to smoke before he passed over the 'CAR' lettering in the road.

Also, her thread says nothing about him hitting something.
On my way home from work Friday afternoon, a Honda car lost control in the HOV (Carpool) Lane. I was in the #1 (Fast Lane). The Honda car spun around on the fwy and came at me. No one knows yet why the Honda driver would lock the brakes, swerve out of control, and never try to correct it. If you watch the video though, you do see him accelerate at first towards the white car ahead of him. He doesn't get *that* close to the white car - but he either "woke up" then, or panicked - and slammed on the brakes, resulting in the locking of the wheels and burning/smoking tires.
Surely, if there was something in the road that he hit, causing him to lose control, everyone at the scene of the accident would know why he locked the brakes and swerved out of control...because he was trying to miss something.

Also, when was the last time you ran over something flat and it caused you to lose control? A piece of sheetrock or plywood won't stop your wheel from turning (which would have to happen in order to cause the object to start sliding). At just about ANY rate of speed over '0', an object that's only an inch high (if even that) will NOT grab your tire and cause you to slide on it, or even cause you to lose control. You'll just run over it. Plain and simple. The only way that a piece of sheetrock could have possibly caused his car to do what it did, was if he locked the REAR brakes at the EXACT second they were on the piece of alleged 'sheetrock'.

"No one knows yet why the Honda driver would lock the brakes, swerve out of control, and never try to correct it."

"He hit something in the road that we as the viewer can not make out too well - something that looks to me to be a flat piece of fractured sheetrock"

I'll take the pepsi challenge - my "Barely visable sheetrock debris" theory versus the popular "It's obviously magic" theory.

Quoted post[/post]]I'll take the pepsi challenge - my "Barely visable sheetrock debris" theory versus the popular "It's obviously magic" theory.
You know what it was? Captian Planet.

only the heart kid was to busy with his monkey so it turned into a cloud of smoke and the honda drive wont admit that he swerved to miss hitting a cartoon character......

he is at home right now crying to himself........ green hair....... red speedo..... :ph34r:

Back