First ride R6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efhondakid

My name is Byron.
Rode my friends 06 R6 today, love. The first time Ive been on a "real" streetbike, I say real because Ive rode my other friends supermoto bike a bunch of times. But is more oreintated to what Im used to, been riding/racing dirtbikes since I could ride a bicycle. It was just strange being on something that doesnt get into the powerband until 8K. My question is what would be a good first bike of my own, I dont want anything out of my capabilities.

Well I would suggest a 600 if you really felt confident on your friends. But if you really haven't ridden street bikes a lot I would really suggest that you take a local riders safety course. They most likely have 250cc or 500cc bikes there for you to ride and you can get a good feel for those and a plus is that you will get a discount on your insurance for the course.

depends on how much money you have and what you want to do with it. my first bike was a 2006 250r and i sold it and got a 2007 R6. love the R6.

if you have ever driven a honda, you should be familiar with high rpm engines. the R6 is a great bike, if you know how to ride it. it's basically track ready. i think it's great. the low rpm power makes it great for cruising and city riding, the higher rpm makes it great for twisties and tracks.

https://hondaswap.com/motorcycles/showoff-thread-do-not-enter-84518/

Last edited:
I also had my R6 for about 6 months...then momma made me sell it.

Dirt bikes before that...Did driver's safety and then bought it...I was plenty comfortable riding it.

Last edited:
I do nothing more with my 1200 that I wouldn't or couldn't do the same on a 600.

In other words, 600 is a great all-around size for an experienced rider. And the R6 is featherlight.

600 is about the end as far as most people can ride... most experienced riders still can't push the limits of a 600.

Recommend? Something that is EXTREMELY light and will run a mid 12ish 1/4.

I took out my friend's 600 yesterday (The one he's selling.. I'll post up pics which are on my phone now) and it was a hoot. a tiny little bike, strung-out and and an absolute pip squeek to the 1200.

Loads of fun. You can learn on a 600 (although it would be scarier than it has to be) It's also a tiny little thing, which is funny because when he got it I had my 250 and I remember how daunting it looked to me.

He made it 100 feet on my bike before sidestanding it and cleaning out his shorts.

Back