First stab at CF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
You guys remember I bought that CF kit??? I started practicing with some smaller parts, here's how it turned out:

minicfhood.jpg

I also did a CF hatch for the mini-matrix, just need to trim the edges and I will take a pic of it.

I did a LOT of reading on vacuum bagging this morning, I think I'm going to try and wrap the radio trim piece for a Matrix in CF and then vacuum bag it. I have spare sets of trim for the Matrix ;)

Its actual CF. You can buy it on Ebay in kits or goto THE CARBON SHOP

One thing I've read is to make sure you're getting epoxy resin or CF resin and NOT polyester resin.

Its actually pretty easy to do although I'm sure I'm not doing it the best method for weight and strength. I'm just doing it for looks anyways :p

you so have to do a write up of this lol....

did you have a hood already to use as a mold or what?

im very interested.....^_^

look up "Dragon Plate" it's a high quality CF facility. Great prices and they'll send you samples.

arent all cars toys in one stage or another.....lil kids have there matchboxes and we as adults have out big broom brooms...

(i have model cars tooo) :p

You think he doesnt realize thats a 1/18th scale hood??? Thats funny :lmao:

I didnt make a mold or anything, I'm doing it the totally cheezy looks only method. Wet-out the CF fabric and apply it over the part. Then squeegee out the resin and this also makes the matt stick to the part well. Thats about it. Its really a feel thing IMO, working with the matt is a lil funky cause it shifts around pretty easily. The less you handle the matt itself the better!!!

Edit: so you do realize thats a mini-matrix hood right?

Last edited:
i got the CF i used to make my leg brace from TAP Plastics

prices were good and they were VERY helpful on the phone

edit for anyone who cares
(i used 4 layers of GAO90 uni-directional CF and their super hard epoxy resin)

Last edited:
You think he doesnt realize thats a 1/18th scale hood??? Thats funny :lmao:

Edit: so you do realize thats a mini-matrix hood right?

[newb] So how does the car corner now that you have a CF hood on it? Better cornering ? Under hood temps down? [/newb]

Last edited:
I'm going to do a lil step-by-step on the next one so everyone can see how easy it is. Not saying that it would be easy to make a real CF hood with a fiberglass skeleton, I'm talking about real CF and modelling :)

how about a cf condom?

ah wait most chicks arent into cars.....and if they are there mole face from fast and the furious

Back