First time builder...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VROOM_PSHHH

Alright guys... I've owned one boosted car before (91 CRX Si w/boosted GSR)... That car was CRZY fast... Now I've got a new project because I'm a daddy... I bought a 92 four door Honda Accord... I have big dreams for this car... I'm currently looking for a H22 motor that isn't running because I plan on ripping the internals out and replacing anyway... I am building this motor to put 500+ hp to the wheels with the help of a turbo... I plan on driving this car daily with by turning down the boost, and going to the track every so often and pump up the boost...Now I know what I want out of this motor, but because I bought that CRX and didn't build it, I don't know where to even start... While I'm building this motor I am also working on the suspension aspect of my project... I'm getting Suspension Techniques front/rear sway bar to replace the factory sway bar... A guy on CB7tuner makes strut braces... I'm swapping over to 5 lug with bigger discs/calipers in the front and rear... Now, I'm planning on building the block first with new crank, rods, pistons... Then move to the head... Is there a particular company that you would recommend? I know that I'm going to need to probably port and sleeve the block... Is there a crank/rods that are better for the stress that this motor is going to be put under?

Now I don't want anyone posting on here that it's a waste of time/money to build such a powerful motor for street use, because a buddy of mine has a 9 sec Prelude that he drives to church... I'm not trying to "one up" him in anyway...

If anyone has any info that could help me out, please let me know... If there is anyone in the Tri-state area that can do some machining for me cheaper than a shop let me know and I'll drive to you... I really appreciate everything in advance... Thanks guys...

Kenny

9 second Prelude? That must be built pretty well if it has lasted for awhile. Consult your buddy about this build. Chances are he has an H or F-Series engine in there which are somewhat closely related.

Oh, and if you're resleeving a block, there's no reason to hone the new sleeves, unless of course you are looking for a larger bore.

Judging by your post you have some knowledge of cars but seem to just be throwing part names out there. Start by talking to your buddy about what exactly is done to this "9 second daily-driven street Prelude" and see what he says.

Oh, and if you're resleeving a block, there's no reason to hone the new sleeves, unless of course you are looking for a larger bore.
i disagree with this, and here's why. when you buy new pistons, it's not uncommon for them to be slightly different sizes. a good shop will not do any boring/honing until you hand them the pistons you'll use in the build. also, if you put in new sleeves, you need to put in new rings as well, even if you use the old pistons. the old rings wont seat correctly on the new surface. new rings will require a certain finish for them to seat correctly, so yes, you have to have them honed once they're in.

i disagree with this, and here's why. when you buy new pistons, it's not uncommon for them to be slightly different sizes. a good shop will not do any boring/honing until you hand them the pistons you'll use in the build. also, if you put in new sleeves, you need to put in new rings as well, even if you use the old pistons. the old rings wont seat correctly on the new surface. new rings will require a certain finish for them to seat correctly, so yes, you have to have them honed once they're in.

Really? Hmm. Good to know.

I always thought that the sleeves were ready for seating rings from the manufacturer. I've never heard of anyone doing this.

Still learning things, thanks BrokenRex. :)

hope u got lots o money. thats a pretty ballsy build for a D/D.

good luck on the build!

btw: how long you been a daddy?

When you send your block out to get sleeved, they dont put the sleeves in and not line bore them. Sleeves usually come in specific sizes, not specially the bore you need for your pistons. This is why they ask you the bore size you want. Once they bore it out, they then hone for the cross-hatch pattern kind of like a criss-cross pattern. The hone is needed for the new rings to seat properly.

When you re-sleeve a block, its usually to go with a bigger bore for more displacement and new pistons normally are put in.

Yeah the h22 block will definetly need sleeves for that kind of power. I would go with Benson's machine for the sleeves. Check out Laskey Racing they would be able to help you with a bottom end that can take that kind of abuse.

Back