first turbo question!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taco15

I wear stretchy pants
well i REALLY new to the turbo seen. I built my car for N/A and i like it. Problem is, i cant gain alot more power without spending mad cash flow. which i dont have. I have been readind for months now and really couldnt find any concrete answers. Civicious, formby,calesta and pissoffsol i would like to hear your opinions as well.So here it goes.

Can i run a turbo on my lsvtec with 11.3.1 compression. Now for the list of engine mods.

ported and polished B16A
skunk2 stage2 valvtrain (except valves)

B18A1 bored .020 over.
Eable hbeam rods
SRP pistons
Klevite bearings
Eagle lightweight crank

I understand the cams might have to go. But what about the compression? What kind of setup would you guys run if this was your motor? I want a 12 sec car. And would love to see 300 or more horses. My freinds say just spray a 50 or 75 shot. Tuned obviously. Can my goal be achieved without tearing the motor apart again? It has less than 5k miles on it :blink: Dont hink I'm building it anythime soon. I just have these question pondering in my head and want a yes or no possibility

WOW!!!! 11.3:1 compression and you want to run turbo man?? your deffintely pushin the limit. its usually even unstable to run turbo on a 10.0:1 compression and your compression is 11.3:1!!! i mean im no expert man but you going to blow that shit up if u run ANY type of forced induction yet alone boost unless u sleve the shit out of the bottom to be able to take that kind on pressure. your cams i really dont think are going to be an issue but id more worry about that bottom end!!!

my $.02 cents

i would not turbo charge that engine..all you need to do is change the pistons.and the amount of tuning needed for your set up on 93 and 5-9psi is not worth it.

you have to choose FI/NA :hmm: :hmm:

i would save and buy the pistons and all the FI stuff make the switch and sell the NA left overs ...which would be the pistons and cams...gsr cams are sweet...that also means downtime

thanks guys. i just wanted to get the question out of my chest. I gues it's time to save up some money for some even bigger cams!
I want 200+ to the wheels! Thanks again guys. if you have any experience with something better than stage2 skunks lmk. I plan on upgrading in the next 2 months. IF i have some money left over from the bills................god i hate bills.

poeple turbo typer's, and b16's all day. plus you have forged internals. i say go for it 300hp is very close and if you have a good tuner tune it you will have no problem.

Quoted post[/post]]
poeple turbo typer's, and b16's all day. plus you have forged internals. i say go for it 300hp is very close and if you have a good tuner tune it you will have no problem.

yeah but the b16's are what 10.5ish? I'm not worried about the tuning part. Igot a guy to take care of that. Iknow the bottom end internals will hold also. It's the block. Ihave read an article on super street where they made 500 hp on a stock b16. They even reused the stock bolts :eek: . Then again they aren't worried about it blowin up. :dry: What turbo do you recommend to make that 300 or a little extra mark? It's definitly not going to be a big turbo, i dont think.

Hey hotrex join the topic since you've done some wild things with turbo's :p

k series are doing 500+ whp with 11.5:1. but a gt28r, gt30 or even a 60-1 will get you to 300 whp at around 10psi easy

i'd throw a 50 shot on it and call it a day.....

but if you want to go turbo, it can be done... it just requires a lot of GOOD tuning and little room for error. if you detonate or misfire, you have a much higher chance to do damage

i agree that ther margin for error is very slim with that compression.

it will take some solid tuning to ensure the life of that setup boosted. personally thats a bit high for me to consider on pummp gas due to the variation of ethanol content and the octane rating of the gas your actually getting.

i think a turbo such as a sc34 or t3/t4 57 trim would be all you need for 300whp and still retain a good spool and excellent streetable characteristics.

:hmm: me and formby talked about the 50 shot awhile back. But the turbo..............damn it ! thanks hotrex for the turbo sizes. My girls is begging to go get some food so i'll have to check in later.lol

i haven't personally done anything with FI, but what you need is good efficiency, good cooling, big injectors, and good tuning. if you keep your charge temps down, and you don't run lean, you have less chance of detonation. if i were to attempt this, i'd save up the extra cash for a GT series turbo, and aluminum radiator, a good intercooler, and a really good tuner. i actually have a question tho, does anyone know if you can use tuning programs like hondata and uberdata to make your fan switch on at a lower temperature? LS have closed deck tho, don't they? i was thinking, with an open deck, you could keep cylinder temps down a little by keeping coolant temps down by making the fan turn on sooner.

anway, this is all just my thinking on the situation. it's not rock hard advice, but rather something for you to mull over yourself.

i thought the only closed deck blocks were H series? I dont think ls blocks are closed decks. then again i have a bad memory.lol

Back