fishing sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alaskancodkiller

just got back from the boat last week. four months straight on the bering sea... it was an experience, 12 hour days, but it got me in shape!! next trip is in january. I came back with about 20k, and bought a new truck. 2004 dodge with the cummins diesel, it rips a little bit more than the ford. after the next trip It'll have a 6in. lift on 37's, with a full camo wrap.

I need a job like that. You should hook me up with a job, seriously I'll go out to Alaska for 4 months every couple months to make 20k . :mrgreen:

Do you have to work more than 6 months a year?

a normal trip latst about 3 months. but you can work u pto 8. we just had 2 really good trips, so the money was good. I started out at 1.3% of what the boat made now I'm up to 1.7%. you only get to see land 2 days a month, the rest of the time it's waves, and seagulls.

Hell yeah. I'm looking to find one of these gigs for this summer or something. I seriously want to so badly.

Wow. Isn't that one of the most dangerous jobs out there or something? How often do you dump off your fish load?

I don't care....it'll defenitly keep me busy.

And 1.3% still isn't bad. Don't almost all of the shiploads make close to a 100k or more?

It's the crab ships that work in the freezing waters that kill you.

20K for 4 months HMmm not really worth it.

I already told you to get on a damn boat...WTF are you waiting for..... :wink:

And don't get any fish preganant :laugh:

hahah

I was thinking about it more and the military just won't be my cup of tea. If I were to try to go in to the army, I wouldn't make it past Basic.

Quoted post[/post]]

60k a year? I'll take that, but not if you live in Alaska, it's expensive as shit, the 1,500-2,000 check they give you a year basically pays for the extra cost of EVERYTHING you need to buy.

Who said I'd be living in Alaska? With 20k in my pocket each term, I'd fly home to the EC and find a way to make that 20k, into 40k and so on.

we dump the boat about every 30 days, unless it's slow, then you stay out until it's full. pretty sweet gig, you pay for the flight to seattle, then they fly you up to dutch.
I'm looking at going on a crew boat in the gulf of mexico... it's used to run guys back and forth from the oil pllatforms. a little less money, but It'd be warm weather instead of cold.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

60k a year? I'll take that, but not if you live in Alaska, it's expensive as shit, the 1,500-2,000 check they give you a year basically pays for the extra cost of EVERYTHING you need to buy.

Do the math if he works 7 days a week at 12 hours a day thats 84 hour weeks.
if he works 5 days a week that's still 60 hour weeks. for 60K a year... f that.

If it was 84hr a week I don't think I'd make it a full time job. Because thats what, 14/hr...I don't feel like bring up the calc or doing much math.

But yes...I would do it for a few months to have some investing/spending cash.

Back