Fishing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

after this weeks storm is over, I want to go troll this breaker a few times with the kayak with some live bait and shad plastics. Launch from that little beach there, maybe sat morning or sunday morning. Spend a few hours there, then head home and maybe have the outback cleaned up.

west haven - Google Maps

looks like a nice spot, but with a kayak?

Im all prepped and ready to do the outback :)

if the winds stay under 15 mph, the kayak is fine...actually fun.

Tomorrow morning is looking excellent for a brief excursion to that breaker, I just picked up a lot of plastic shads to try to see what I can snag.

Hour by Hour Weather Forecast for West Haven, CT - weather.com

Do you feel like hitting some surf fishing and maybe trying out a peddle kayak in the morning, fish a few hours, and then detail the subby? I get out of work around 6:30, and I can probably get to that park next to that breaker in 20 minutes.

hit my cell if you still have my number.

Ahh man, All my fishing gear is now in storage. I moved in with my girlfriend today so we have allot of unpacking to do. I think i'm done fishing for the year lol. but next year we'll definately go.

Call me when your back and I'll come up PM #

I have 2 peoples worth of gear in the outback,..your a wuss.

just have your FL in your wallet, and your covered.

69884_1380250839601_1631824313_919855_3584759_n.jpg

today's little 22 inch'er....

It had a decent fight, I can't wait to hook onto it's 45 inched big brother. A local fisherman pointed me to a new spot in that area...might hit it in the morning...if I can move....

The wife wants me to take a night off of work, so I can run her down to that beach at sunrise. It is simply amazing. I see every sunrise since I work 3rd shift, but when I'm at that beach...it's completely different. I already have the Hobie 2011 Adventure Island on my short list, as well as a real boat the outback might be able to tow, that has a cuddy cabin with a heater. The crx project or Z project might be up for sale soon.:ph34r:

Striper season this year lame'd out. Going for Tautog's now (black fish) Market price $99 a lb, 14" min, 4 fish per angler. Got the crabs and ready to roll out tomorrow. Just bought and fabbed up an anchor system today for the yak, and picked up a lot of new toys.

If I can get 4 14" blackfish before 11 am, fish fry tomorrow at my place. I went today, and the wind and waves were just to choppy for my safety standards. Next Tuesday a fellow Japanese kayak-er from MA is coming down to go black fishing with me, and then we're going to a sushi place in Hartford. Then Wed, all the guys from work are going out, and were going to max out on black fish.

This fishing is addicting, the Z or the CRX will be traded or sold so I can get a sweet cuddy or cruiser. I haven't touched the cars in over a month, and I don't even feel guilty. :whistle:

Heading out for a stiper tournament next weekend, I'll let you know how it goes. Going for the big boys!

man airjockie is getting serious about fishing! if you ever find yourself down my way hit me up, ill put you on some fish.

i do love fishing, i wish i had more time for it lately. i think tautog are similar to the sheepshead that we have down here. tasty flaky white meat, i like to pan fry them. good luck!

Got my first tog today, 15", and I called him sashimi. Damn good fish raw, I think next time I'll have to add a little lemon zest/juice, and do the full bang and shave up some daikon to go with it, and a few green alfalfa things.. And I need a damn sharper knife, a better cutting board, and got to learn how to fillet them better to get max meat out of them. I hope my new buddy that's coming Tuesday can show me a few tricks.

33552_1386701640867_1631824313_930570_8270121_n.jpg

74221_1386705560965_1631824313_930574_3932547_n.jpg

I like to use a 7" filet knife for smaller fish, and a 9" for bigger stuff. its worth the money to get a decent one, it will stay sharp a lot better than a $9 one. cleaning fish takes a lot of practice and a good knife.

nice man! look at the kayak setup , sick! I'm done fishing for the year. All my gear is in storage and its to cold :). Hope the subu is still clean!

The subby is already a mess...

It's still 70 degree's outside!!!

I'm going again in the morning for an all day excursion, a guy from MA on another forum is coming down, were going to hit the same breaker, then go to my house, drop his car off, then go hit up a sushi restaurant in West Haven, then come back to my place and kill beers. I'll take tomorrow night off because I know I won't wake up in time to go to work, then Wednesday morning go back out on my buddies boat to hit the same spot. Tomorrow my buddy is taking his boat as well, so there might be some room on it if you want to call in sick at work.

since the last post...I got another 16" tog, and loading up the subby tonight to go back out in the morning to get more. the last one the wife broiled..and god damn it was good. If I can limit out...I'll be one happy fisherman. Temps are getting down in the 30-40's...harder to get the fingers to move to tie up rigs.... but I love the 7mil farmer john wetsuit I bought.... nice and cozy...even when wet.

im going fishing tomorrow morning, hopefully there will something picture worthy...

Those Tarpon reminds me of when we were down in the BVI fishing and saw a school of tarpon cornering a smaller school around a small pier.
My little fishing tackle wouldnt be any where near the size for them.

SO I did the next best thing..
Got in the water and took underwater pics of 6-8' ones with eyeballs the size of baseballs about 2-3' from me.
If you would swim peacefully and not make sudden movements they would not pay too much attention to you, they were more interested in the baitfish.

Out of 17 rolls of film that one was the only one that we didn't get back.. Man, that was something to see that big black eye roll around and look at you but it didn't swim away!!
There must have been about 18-25 of them. NONE under 5' long!

If you can, try and get int he water with a mask and cast n reel, seeing what is under really changes your perspective.. BUT in the ocean, you always have to look behind you.

E

nice!

the other morning i went out, the conditions were not ideal. we did manage to catch some fish, but they were not big, and nothing good to eat. we are about to get our first cold front of the year tomorrow so the fishing should turn on after that. it will be nice to finally turn the AC off lol.

I lived about 4 years in Daytona Beach... I know about the AC...

I'm actually looking at drysuits now...so I can continue going out in the dead of winter. Everyone with damn boats already winterized them, and sales are going out the roof for the people who can't do it for theirs. What's so damn hard on removing all the water from an engine, and putting a new water pump impeller on for next season?

man i wish i lived near the coast or knew more people who fish in my area.

i usually (95% of the time) go out for bass and its been a rough year. went out 2 days ago and had one bite but it was a pity bite. the bass was tiny and it kicked my hook right at the shoreline.

my friends suggested i put up the pole and grab the 22s and shotguns for bird season.

anyway, that striper looks freaking tasty. how do you guys prepare the fishes?

my friends and i usually just either:

a) stuff it with tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and lime and wrap it in aluminium foil and steam it
b) deep fry it and laddle curry sauce over it
c) give it a quick grill and pick the meat out of the fish. then chop it up via double barrel chinese butcher knife-style and hit it up with lime and herbs.

im interested in more ways of cooking fish or making sauce besides the ones i mentioned and the good ol' pan fry and butter method.

Back