fix it ticket -el scammo-

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PHOBIA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok a couple of weeks back i got a fix it ticket for an excessive exhaust noise.
I am in a dilemma because,
A.i got a brand new greddy exhaust, i want put on.
B.i have to pay $100 for a stock exhaust and anoter $100 to put on the greddy. so i was thinking i could skip step b.
I am thinking of putting some sort of filter inside exhaust tip after the muffler.
the guy who had it before me stuck a stage 2 flow on it. "too damn loud"so any ways im thinking of getting a brilow"sp" pad and sticking it in there for my test at the chp office.the metal kinda that can stand high heat.i figured it would baffle most of the noise out and i would just take it out immedietly after the test and have my new greddy put on.
my question is would this choke my engine? is it a bad idea even for a short few minutes.I think this could work and save me some cash,but dont wanna mess up my motor or anything.any help?

not a emissions expert but the worst I could see happen would be it getting too hot and shooting out as red embers into the test equipment,that might hurt something of thiers but I dont see how it could damage your motor.

they dont use test equipment, they just have a guy come out and listen to your cars, i think you would probobly be ok, but i dont know it that would muffle it enough.

doesn't the greddy exhaust have a silencer?
didn;t read the post that well, but it sounds like a good idea, back pressure won't harm the motor, just the performace...

and if you don't have a silencer either buy one or try to make one... and you can incorporate your brillow idea into the silencer too

best of luck

Show him your CARB number and poke him in the eye. GReddY is made to be on your car, and is not an "Off road" only product. It's tested under California Emissions, and noise levels.

-> Steve

Originally posted by PHOBIA@Apr 10 2004, 01:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok a couple of weeks back i got a fix it ticket for an excessive exhaust noise.
I am in a dilemma because,
A.i got a brand new greddy exhaust, i want put on.
B.i have to pay $100 for a stock exhaust and anoter $100 to put on the greddy. so i was thinking i could skip step b.
I am thinking of putting some sort of filter inside exhaust tip after the muffler.
the guy who had it before me stuck a stage 2 flow on it. "too damn loud"so any ways im thinking of getting a brilow"sp" pad and sticking it in there for my test at the chp office.the metal kinda that can stand high heat.i figured it would baffle most of the noise out and i would just take it out immedietly after the test and have my new greddy put on.
my question is would this choke my engine? is it a bad idea even for a short few minutes.I think this could work and save me some cash,but dont wanna mess up my motor or anything.any help?

:emofo:

Originally posted by Celerity@Apr 10 2004, 05:35 PM
Show him your CARB number and poke him in the eye. GReddY is made to be on your car, and is not an "Off road" only product. It's tested under California Emissions, and noise levels.

-> Steve

:werd: And to whom ever is going to charge you 100.00 to hang a freaking exhaust, poke them in the eye too. I can do that job in about 10 minutes. Even top dollar at a dealer, if they were screwing you, would be 70.00. 35.00-50.00 tops is more like it, if you're not willing to knock it out yourself...which I would recommend.

I'm with cws13, just install the Greddy exhaust yourself. Then take it to emissions with the full catback on there, and you should pass just fine. Afterall they are guaranteed 50 state legal. Installing exhausts isn't very hard, it's one of the easiest bolt on's you can do. I can't believe they charge $100 for it, I could make a fortune doing that all the time at that rate.

i cant take off the exhaust because its not bolt on.my whoel exhaust is cutom from the manifold back all 3 inch tubing.the 100 bucks seemed pretty steep to me too but that incorporates the whole factory exhaust with it.i dont wanna put on the greddy because with my piping it will be llouder than the db leverl suggested by greddy. i went to the carb web site and founf a bunch of paper work i am going to start to carry with me after i put it on .plus i got a personal letter from the greddy staff with more info on it.so the next time i get pulled over im just gonna hand em the paper workand throw it in there face. hmm.thanks guys,auctually one of my plans was to put on the stock exhaust then tell the chp that i had my greddy on when i was ticketed and try and get them to pick up the bill B) but oh well.

Back