fix or buy another?

buy another tranny or fix mine

• fix tranny for i dont know how mu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

my gsr transmission is grinding 3rd gear when ever i shift above 4500rpm even after i changed to honda MTF. should i pay to fix it? or should i buy another transmission?

oh yes i dont wanna spend a lot of money but which ever is more worth it would be the best... also how much could i sell this gsr tranny for with a worn syncro?

get a quote "estimate" on the repair, if it's more than the cost of a new tranny, then fuck it, if it's less than go for it.

id say fuck it get a new one
if one synchro is about to go the others are probly not too far behind
replacing all the synchros will probly cost more than a tranny would
but i guess then you know all is good

kinda a toss up

when shit brakes- upgrade :)

score a jdm itr tranny.

get closer gearing, and an lsd

rebuild if you're mechancially inclined, if not buy another. Also, when rebuilding be sure think about up grading to a 4.7 final drive... yum 4.7 final drive...

Ian

well i found this tranny i can get its a jdm s4c with lsd for 1000. is there anyway that i can make sure that it is the tranny that im paying for?? i can see that it has LSD cuz theres no rod in the diff but lsd isnt stamped on it. is there any other way to check what tranny it is?

Honda only sells synchro sets with the whole gear pack- which comes to about 300 .00 per gear set and about another 200.00 in bearings. No one will be able give you an estimate until they remove and crack your tranny open to inspect a variety of things that could be causing grinding. The plus on a rebuild is that you know exactly what you are getting, but if you have a reliable JDM source and can score a type-R with 20-30K I'd say do that. Check your clutch hydraulics just to be sure first, I've seen leakers grind only at specific times due to driving style. If you fluid is low at all there is a leak either in the car or out of the slave.

i would take it out on your own and rebuild it if you feal that you are inclined to do so. A honda trany is very simple in design and you will have a almost new trans for much less. juust my $0.02

Drain the fluid, take a magnet and dip it into the fluid, if your see deposits, get a new tranny, i used to work for Honda, this is how they test it. Sometimes they rebuild it as a core, but mostly they'll tell you to buy a new one because rebuilding is more expensive.

yeah... well i just replaced the fluid and my clutch isnt leaking. I am pretty sure its the 3rd gear synchro cuz it only grinds when its at 5+ rpm cuz it cant match the speed fast enough. I am in the process of buying a s4c for 1000 and he says it has basicly zero miles on it. the bolts are stil green and it looks realy clean but i wont knwo till i put it on.

i agree with E, check some prices and do whats cheaper. either way you'll get a stronger, working tranny.

just as a side question.

what is or how do you build a tranny for racing? what do they have stronger components you can buy and install, diffrent design, or what? i know some people use ITR but i dont really want to do a hydo conversion. pretty much what im asking is what do the people pushing 350+hp use?

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Feb 6 2004, 12:00 AM
what is or how do you build a tranny for racing? what do they have stronger components you can buy and install, diffrent design, or what? i know some people use ITR but i dont really want to do a hydo conversion. pretty much what im asking is what do the people pushing 350+hp use?

get a good LSD and youll be pretty much all set

Originally posted by B18C_NA@Feb 5 2004, 02:30 PM
Drain the fluid, take a magnet and dip it into the fluid, if your see deposits, get a new tranny, i used to work for Honda, this is how they test it. Sometimes they rebuild it as a core, but mostly they'll tell you to buy a new one because rebuilding is more expensive.

Between three dealerships with a combined 90 bays, I have never seen that. The magnet deal is not a Honda recommended practice. If you have a magnetic drain plug you will see deposit between fluid changes and it does not necessarily mean the trans is shot. If you've ever taken one apart to install a diff you know that there is metal sediment in a good one. The day I need a magnet to diagnose a car I will sell my tools. My rule of thumb is that I rebuild for bearing failure and replace with a used one for synchro/gear damage. Like E solsi said, if one has gone, the odds are you will be replacing other gear sets, which will definately match or surpass the cost of a good used trans.

First of all, I'm a ASE Master certified Tech for Honda. Honda uses four methods of inspection. Magnetic inspection, Visual Inspection, Mechanical Inspection, and Computerized Inspection. The magnetic inspection, when the deposits are found, should be a black to silver fine grains. These grains are found at the couple last quarts of fluids when draining. The deposits are place under a metalurgic scope tester, which the metal will be defined. When the deposits are identified as IT-32 compositions, it's basically that the tranny will be the problem, which actually means that the deposits found matches the tranny component's elements. This Leads into Visual Inspection, Mechanical, and then Computerized. Which they all charge like 2000 bucks. This is why honda inspections are so expensive. It's a long process.

why dont you just rebuild it your self? should be easy, at least for some of us. :ph34r:

Back