1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing the Saab - Replaced Headgasket

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by erikespo, Sep 4, 2005.

1. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

Since i have not many options for $400 I am just going to fix the head gasket and oil the oil out of the system.. Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning all the oil junk out of the turbo feed lines and out of the collant system? Any thing I could run through there with out the engine running?

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

remove the turbo lines and manually clean them out with brake cleaner. Remove the Turbo and do the gaskets (SAAB 900s, particularly, run so wild that the seals should be replaced anyway).

Then, remember that Saabs have real funky heads, that actually take the pistons and rings INTO the head. Head gaskets have to be done carefully, and the PCVs must be in good working order.

3. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

i did not know that.. about the pistons... I am having problems finding external torx sockets. E16 and E18 i think i need.. i can find them online but i need to get them locally

4. Celerity

Holy crap, Torx too?! Swedes hate mechancs - It's official.

Almost as much as Jaguar hates mechanics. You have to be a "Farmer" not a "Mechanic" to fix most jags.

you got pics of this Saab?

5. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

ALL of the major brands have the sockets go to your local PROFESSIONAL tool store and get a set worth owning

6. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

Give an example of a "professional" tool store...

7. NissanNiNjA2nd

Matco, Snap-on, hell even Craftsman has their own store

8. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

I live in an area not so diverse in selection of tool shops. My choices of stores to get tools.. Walmart, Sears or Home Depot.

The guy at Sears was retarded. I told him "I need some Torx sockets, sizes E16 and E18" He says as he looks at me like I'm an idiot and don't know anything "Those don't sound like standard Torx sockets to me. Usually they have a T infront of them" So I had to explain to him that it is an External Torx socket. He says "We wouldn't have anything like that" Idiot.. They have them on the Sears website. I couldn't remember the name and mentioned Skill... He quickly chimes in "We don't even carry Skill products" I wanted to punch him and tell him to lose some weight.

9. Celerity

My brand of choice is Husky - Who used to be Husquarvna, But now is Stanley. I have mostly Stanleys now, and I've managed to break a few things - But they replace through the mail without me sending the old ones back.

Needless to say, I'm now very well versed on my Husky part numbers so I can rattle them off over the phone. Hello new stuff :)

-> S

10. NissanNiNjA2nd

they are there, but they are hidden there are only 2 sets that they carry in store and one of them has the sockets that you need..... dont buy any tools from walmart, unless its an axe to chop someone up.... :lol:

11. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

Well I found all the tools i needed. I got the head off. That thing had coolant lines going to it and a ton of other crap.

After taking it off it appears who ever replaced the gasket last time did a crapy job and never retorqued the head bolts. and it doesn't look like they put an intake manifold gasket on it. the exhaust manifold was also in really bad shape. When taking the exhaust manifold off, one of the studs broke so now I have to drill it and get that sucker outta there. but I did paint the headers with some 1200 degree black paint becasue it was all brown and such. I have the new head bolt on the way (the head bolt that were in there were pretty bad. they probably reused them when they replaced the head gasket last time. i will be getting a new stud for the exhaust soon too.

12. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

I got most everything back together. I am having trouble now finding where one of my connectors goes. it is one of the last things I have to reconnect.

13. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

[​IMG]

I got it back together and found all the ecu connector and reattached them. I think I connected some vacuum lines up wrong because it started and stalled and then it wouldn't start again.

http://users.adelphia.net/~erik.espo/saabstart.mpg

Check out the video and look at the tach and boost gauge..

14. Celerity

When I see the tach freak out like that, I immediately think of an electrical problem. Plus, your ECU freaked out.

As far as vaccum, can't help ya there - Can't even begin.

15. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

I can tell i am close to getting this thing up and running. I wish this car was less complicated. I could have completely rebuilt the d15 in crx faster than i did this work.. Curse you Saab!!!!

16. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

why didnt you mark things when you took them off?

17. erikespo

erikespo Senior Member

I was trying to work quickly... I will figure it out eventually

18. Celerity

I never mark things off, when I'm disassembling. Except pan and head bolts.

They only fit in one way. Except those damned distributors that Clayton and I did back in 03.

Who the fuck builds a distributor that fits in and together two ways.... 8 possible combinations horseshit.

19. NissanNiNjA2nd

would that be nissans awesomeness?

20. Celerity

I actually think it was the first year Tracker .. I remember taking it apart and throwing it against the wall - I mean, you actually need to purposely design something to go in two ways.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted