Fixing those rust spots

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Okay, so most or all of us drive hondas here so as a result most of us have been faced with the rust problem over the wheel well in the rear quarter panels. I just want to know how you guys specifically fix them.

The rust on the back of my sol has gotten pretty bad, to the point where it basically should be torched and cut out, then replaced with a new piece of panel BUT since the sol is a unibody and you can't just remove the rear quarterpanels that will be damn expensive.

I was going to grind the rust off with a metal grinder [obviously] and then just fill it up with bondo, what do you guys do?

i've used phospho(i think thats what its called. they sell it at home depot.) to remove small amounts of rust. this stuff is crazy strong. they use it to clean stains off concrete. you just brush it on the the rust and it dissolves it. it doesn't harm the metal. depending on how big the area is this might not be appropriate.

sorry if i've offended you by misspelling anything.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Jul 24 2003, 12:24 PM
i've used phospho(i think thats what its called. they sell it at home depot.) to remove small amounts of rust. this stuff is crazy strong. they use it to clean stains off concrete. you just brush it on the the rust and it dissolves it. it doesn't harm the metal. depending on how big the area is this might not be appropriate.

sorry if i've offended you by misspelling anything.

har har har

I'll bite my lip and not say anything to flame you. :angry:

thanks for the help, i might be buying a fender that has a small rust spot and I might just have to look into using that stuff to get rid of it.

most of that chemical crap is worthless it basically turns it into black rust. id check and see if anyone makes patch panels for your quarter so you could cut out the rusted metal, weld in the new piece, and mud over it

buy a patch fender piece, have it welded and sanded. Thats the only way to get rid of it for an extended period of time pretty much. I just had mine fixed with grinding/bondo/paint but within a week or two you can already see the paint bubble.

Originally posted by xyswany@Jul 27 2003, 02:09 PM
most of that chemical crap is worthless it basically turns it into black rust. id check and see if anyone makes patch panels for your quarter so you could cut out the rusted metal, weld in the new piece, and mud over it

see the welding part would be expensive, i dont think i have access to the tools to do that...

just put the patch in there ya want it, screw a couple self tapping screws in it and just tack weld it in you have to know someone with a welder, also alternate where you tack, do one on the left side, one on the right, middle l,r, etc. so you dont warp the shit out of it and end up putting in a foot of mud.

Back