Flashlight thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
I normally carry a Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax, but since it's back at surefire for a warranty repair, I picked up this guy:

RG Lights : Mini Pen LIght

It's very well made, push down on the switch and it comes on, unlike many of the cheap chinese-made lights. It really seems like it puts out 100 lumens. Best of all, it uses a cheaper battery than the SF light. Unfortunately, it's length isn't usable, the switch isn't as usable, and the beam pattern sucks.

Anyone know who originally made this light? It's obviously rebranded.

I have a Surefire 6PX Defender (320 lumens). Its my EDC.

no B, sadly i am not aware of any TRILLION candle power flashlights
:(

Streamlight Micro Stream - this light lives clipped to my pocket anywhere i am
when i bought it didnt think i would use it anywhere near as often as i do
i absolutely love this little light
its small, inexpensive, plenty bright for anything ive needed to use it for... its only 28 lumen but as i said, so far it has been plenty bright and i would actually like to have a lower setting (a 1.5-3 lumen setting would be perfect) for reading stuff at night without blinding myself
microstream_angle2.jpg

Klarus P1A - i keep this light in my backpack that goes pretty much everywhere with me
its pretty bright, has a high and low setting... low (11 lumen) is about on par with the streamlight, not as bright but more quantity of light... high (150 lumen) is pretty damn bright and lights up a large area... throw is not great, definitely more flood than spot
i bought this light when my first Maratac AA Extreme got ruined by a leaky battery :(
klarus-p1a-1-bg.jpg

Maratac AA Extreme - after my first one got ruined i ended up buying 3 more of these... they are amazing little lights. the high setting (120 Lumen) is pretty bright... the low setting (1.5 lumen) is perfect for close up work without blinding yourself... i keep these all over the place, one in the car, one in my backpack, one in my night stand... though rated 30 lumen lower, the high setting is just as bright as the Klarus P1A, but it is a much more focused beam and throws much farther... spill is still very good and it lights up a large area... with the included diffuser attached it lights up a very wide area (the diffuser also protects the lens while its not in use :) )
CC028_main.jpg
aatacticaldiffuser1.jpg

3 - D Cell LED MagLite - i keep one of these in my room and one in the car... not really much to say about these that everyone doesnt already know... when you consider their size the light output is not really that impressive, but the LED model is WAYYYYY brighter than the older Krypton lamp model... on paper they are about as bright as the AA LED lights i have (131 Lumen), but there is a lot more quantity of light... the beam focuses pretty well and throws very far...
also you can hit someone with it if the need arises :ph34r:

2DLED-main.jpg

still have one of the old Krypton lamp models that doesnt get used much... but another flashlight is never a bad thing to have around :)

2 - AA Mini LED Maglite - got these in the package with the 3-D model from Costco... again WAYYYY brighter than the old Xenon versions... the twist control is kind of annoying, the focus is damn near useless... they do put out a good amount of light though (77 lumen)... one sits on a shelf in my closet for when i need to look for something and dont feel like turning on the lights... and one lives in the glove box in my car as a back up, to the back up, to the back up... wouldnt buy one of these on their own, but when you get one free with the 3-D for less than the cost of the 3-D alone at most stores :shrug2: why not
AALED-main_.jpg

still have a few of the old Xenon bulb 2-AA Mini Mags kicking around in different places that will continue getting used until they finally die... and i gotta say sometimes it is kinda nice to use a dim flashlight... i tried one of the LED conversions for these... it SUCKED... seriously horrible

have a little Coleman LED light that runs on 2 CR123s... its not as bright as any of the AA LED lights i have... it lives in a drawer

i have a couple other cheap crappy LED lights kicking around here and there that run on either AAA or AA batteries in stupid little 3 battery holders... one eats batteries like crazy and isnt that bright... i need to throw that fucker out i just keep forgetting to... the others are pretty dim but dont eat up batteries at all so they are the lights i keep around to let other people use... and if they happen to walk away im not going to be broken up over it

my main focus on flashlights so far has been to stick with common, cheap, readily available batteries... hence the reason ive stuck with AA / AAA / D for the most part

im starting now to look into some of the 18650 lights as those seem to be a good blend of battery life, size, and brightness (the rechargable factor is really nice)

ive never really bought in to the whole "weaponized light" theory a lot of people go on about...
"850 disorientating lumen of dazzling tactical strobe that makes people have seizures, swallow their tongues, and shit themselves... yeah!! tactical as fuck y0!!!1!" :ph34r:
blah blah blah...
if i need to defend myself a flashlight wont likely be the first second or even third thing i grab for...
and if i am grabbing for a flashlight its probably going to be a Maglight so i can beat the son of a bitch with it, not shine it in their eyes

but to get back to Bs comment... if i had some FU money kicking around that i didnt have ANYTHING else to do with i might have to pick up one of these

FOURSEVENS Maelstrom XM18 15000 Lumen LED Spotlight

skip to 5:20 for the testing of the light
FOURSEVENS XM18 15000 Lumen Monster Light Review 4Sevens - YouTube

id like to mount that thing in my car for the assholes who like to follow too close, or not turn off their damn high beams when they get behind you :D

Last edited:
My work light. Works great. Very durable. It's even got a lifetime warranty. Well, actually I don't know how long the warranty is, I got it through the Snap-On guy that services my dealership and he warranties them for me. No questions asked.

stylus-pro-2011_black.jpg

Stylus® Series - Stylus Pro® | Streamlight

This light stays in my Integra. Not much to say about it other than, "it works" lol.

PKCOTM_vl1.jpg

Peak 1 Million Candlepower Cordless Spotlight (PKCOTM)

I have two lights that stay in my GLK, mainly because it's the wifey's car and she has our kids to shuttle around. The Dewault light came in a tool kit that had a screw gun and impact driver I use for work. It's bright AS FUCK! The Police 1101 is a light and stun gun.

DCL510_1.jpg

DCL510 12V MAX* LED Worklight | DEWALT Tools

c354b12ea16273628fe72a6f47891ea7.image.200x172.jpg

Police flashlight / Stun Gun rechargeable WS1101

I'm hoping to get a Cobra Stunlight: The True Non-Lethal Alternative! to keep in my truck but last time I looked into them, they are based out of Hong Kong and if any repairs are needed, I would have to send it there. Plus, the pepper spray cartridges were/are only available through them...

Cobra Stunlight: The True Non-Lethal Alternative - YouTube

I like using burning lasers for flashlights... freaks out the neighbors in the country more when you go outside at night to look for stuff. They think you're packing a rifle out at night hunting "vermin." :D

I use my green Spyder II laser for that on occasion.

I just got my surefire L4 Digital Lumamax back from warranty service, only, it has the dual mode 60 lumen/3 lumen head instead of the 120 lumen head. Should I send it back again?

So, I called surefire, and they researched my case, and the KL4 head was unavailable for some reason, so they put a KX2 on it and sent it to me. Tomorrow the service department manager is going to call me and see what they can do to make it right.

Is the head you got back in return inferior? Tell them to send you a brand new flashlight of your choosing if they can't make it right :D

I sent them my flashlight with a 120 lumen head, but I got back a 60/3 lumen dual-mode head. Unfortunately the dual mode doesn't work on my flashlight... Not sure why, but whatever.

SF is calling me tomorrow to rectify the situation. It may be "send it back and we'll fix it" or it may be "we'll send you a new head." Obviously, I want to get back to carrying my surefire as quickly as possible, so I will opt for the latter. While I do like carrying the much smaller RG light, I feel better using and carrying the surefire. I've carried this one for enough years to feel safe with trusting my life to it, if it ever came to that.

Back