flat black/primer. sport compact car cover car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

alright i have a white 92 civic hb with very little rust on the corner of my left rear quarter panel. i've decided that i wanna go all black the way they did the subaru sti on the cover of the new sport compact car magazine.the car is flat black.they painted it with some spray can paint,pretty sure primer. i'm a newbie to all exterior work so i'm askin for all steps on what to do for this project. they did it in one day, but they're also pros at the sh*t. any and all help would be great. thanks to whoever responds.

i have black rota slips and a black mugen front lip and a carbon fiber hood with projector halos with black housing.... do you think this would fit my whole color theme ? just lookin for opinions thanks again

ok first you need to remove and treat the rust to do this use a product called rust killer turns the remaning rust into black primer. the you will need to scuff the entire car up. Use a 3m course pad to do this just take the shine off. Then wipe the entire car off with sure solv, mask all glass and remove anything you can that you don't want painted rattle can the car useing any flat black spraypaint and your done

pick up the article and read exactly how they did it. They had like four guys doing it and they ripped everything off the car, headlights, grille, wheels, everything. If you plan on doing this and you don't have a garage, find one... last thing you need is to do this outside where the bugs can/will fly into the went primer and stick.

its krylon flat black. regular paint. they did the same thing to their 240sx. i actually flipped through the SCC issue with that STI, and they used like 16 cans of spray paint.

so it's not a primer of any sort? and that rust killer just gets sprayed on? you dont have to smooth out the rust after you primer it? one more, do they sell sure solv at your local hardware store? how much do you guys think it would cost for all the paints and sanding? has anyone ever done this before? thanks a lot for all the help

rust killer goes over the rust after you brush all the lose particles off then get brushed on as for sur solv and rust killer local autobody supply. Then fill with a good filler and sand

wel paint gets expensive sometimes, krylon i think may be 3-35, so 3.50 a can and 16 cans is a good guess of what you would need so 16x3.50 =56, i used like 12 cans of black primer on my white 90 the first time i did it and 12 cans was not enough

alright kool thanks guys for all the help. hammerdgolfer, how did ur 90 come out ? was it worth it ? thanks again for all the help

Read the article again. I just read it and through all their narrative bullshit, you can see what steps they took to complete the task. That car looked hot afterwards though. The gold rims definately set it off though.

haha I knew it. New trend = black primer.

(not to discourage you from doing it)

Back