fluid for my transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90htchbck

i have a 92 civic si with about 90k on it, just wondering what's the best fuild to put in the tranny, my diesel tech teacher tells me to go with mobil one sythetic ATF but others tell me straight 30 motor oil, some said redline...I plan on keeping the car for a long time and want to get the most out of it, i tend to jump on it once and a while so i want something that's good and can handle being abused sometimes...what kinda fluid should i use for my transmission??

Honda MTF you can buy at Honda :eek:
should be right behind the parts counter

not real sure why a diesel tech suggested ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for a manual tranny.. but i'd never take his advise, ever

Last edited:
so i can only get the honda MTF at a honda dealer??? is there another good fluid i can use??? what do you think is better redline or motor oiL???

so i can only get the honda MTF at a honda dealer??? is there another good fluid i can use??? what do you think is better redline or motor oiL???
you may be able to order it online.. but yes.. Honda ..
another good tranny fluid is GM Synchromesh..
Redline or motor oil?? neither .. ^^ see choices above ^^

autozone sells a penzoil copy of GM syncromesh that I've used for quite awhile. I think it makes the trans feel better than with honda mtf.

Buy a Haynes Repair Manual for 92-95 (5th gen) civics and del sols. It's full of EVERYTHING you need to know to keep your 92 running great for a long time. I got one :) the wiring diagrams are the main reason I bought it.

It tells you every type of fluid the best for PS, brakes, motor, trans, everything and regular maintenence schedules etc. I highly recommend :).

EDIT: by the way mine says:

Manual Transaxle
Lubricant type.......API grade SF or SG engine oil
Viscosity................10W-30 or 10W-40

Last edited:
You don't use engine oil for transmission fluid anymore you use Honda MTF and that is it, period. If you don't feel like following eg6sir's correct advice feel free to use whatever else you want and you will probably fuck up your transmission.

sounds good i'll try the Honda MTF, why GM synchromesh if i have grinds??? would it be benifital to put GM sychromesh if my tranny is running good with no grinds???

well, grinds are caused from synchros.. if they're going bad, they'll grind.. GM Synchromesh prevents it from grinding somehow, hence the name.. if your tranny is smooth, use the Honda MTF

not any kinda fluid can ''mess up your tranny''

you can use motor oil in it. 10 w 30 or 40..

i use 10-w 40 motor oil to flush my tranny , and i drive on it alot too..

my Y21 tranny is doing just fine on it

You can, but with the release of the specific manual transmission fluid Honda recommends that to be used instead of motor oil. It has special additives and friction modifiers that help to reduce wear and shift smoother than regular motor oil.

I've used pretty much everything that can be put into a Honda manual trans and it works better than everything else including Redline.

i know that man. i was just telling him that nothing will ''hurt'' his tranny.

u can put thick honey 90 w gear oil to expirement if u want...... see wat works best then stick with that, rather then taking advice of wat to get

If you get the GM Synchromesh fluid, make absolutely sure you get the one with the friction modifier in it. There are two different kinds.

Motor oil will work fine in the transmission unless you have a clutch-type LSD.

+1 for Honda MTF, and GM Synchromesh FM.

Pennzoil is not a copy of GM, rather the "original"; GM Synchromesh is manufactured by Pennzoil.

I've used Royal Purple, Honda MTF, GM Synchromesh(non-FM), Castrol 10w-30, and Amsoil Synthetic MTF. Of all those, Royal Purple and GM Synchromesh(non-FM) didn't work too well for me.

I've used Purple royal in the GF's car. Driven it 50k miles no problem and its 5w-30 in the trany. I'n my civic im using GM synchromesh FM, Great stuff ... I would recomend!

Back