Flying lawnmower

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hahah! That shit is funny..

I was like.. "am I on shrooms"

Originally posted by importjdmcivic@Oct 23 2004, 02:33 PM
That thing is sweet as hell, lol. Is the specs on the little plane they used anywhere?
[post=406544]Quoted post[/post]​

Go build one yourself for about $20 in 1" thick styrofoam. They've been flying lawnmowers for 30- something years.

Considering it has no aerodynamic foil to speak of, I'd have to say it has fairly impressive high alpha performance.

i seen one at a rc air show when i bought my eagle 2 trainer plan when i was 14

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Oct 24 2004, 02:12 PM
i seen one at a rc air show when i bought my eagle 2 trainer plan when i was 14
[post=406763]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh man, I had an Eagle 2 as well! What a great plane! I clipped two ribs off each tip, took all the dihedral out of the wing, doubled the aileron and elevator area, made it a tail dragger, and increased the rudder area by 300%. Then I stuffed an OS 91 Surpass in the nose, found the CG was waaaaaay too far forward, so I shortened the nose by almost two inches.

Man, you want to talk about a hairy- chested trainer... ;) hehehe

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Oct 24 2004, 11:47 AM-->
importjdmcivic
@Oct 23 2004, 02:33 PM
That thing is sweet as hell, lol.  Is the specs on the little plane they used anywhere?
[post=406544]Quoted post[/post]​

Go build one yourself for about $20 in 1" thick styrofoam. They've been flying lawnmowers for 30- something years.

Considering it has no aerodynamic foil to speak of, I'd have to say it has fairly impressive high alpha performance.
[post=406723]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry dude...that lawnmower has to many airfoils......the whole handle portion is nothing but airfoils, the motor box is another many wing, the undercarrage is a complete lifting body, dont look at it from the side...look at it from the front or back. I'm sure iff I googled it up, I can find plans for it....

Sorry Clayton, but I was talking about Bernouli lift. Not Newtonian. 99% of those flying novelties are made with flat sheets of styrofoam with no camber whatsoever. Yes, they DO produce lift, but most, if not all, of that lift comes from the angle of attack, not a pressure differential caused by an asymetrical camber curve.

Also, it's flying the prop a good part of the time as you can clearly see. I made a 3' long 2X4 fly once. Anything will fly if you give it enough power to overcome drag, and if it doesn't produce enough lift, just add more power to achieve sufficient angles of attack. Hell, look at what you build at work... those things ought not be flying. I'd even go so far as to say that they're simply a bunch of parts flying in close formation, held together by their natural magnetic attraction to one another. Igor had a firm command of black magic for sure...

In the pic I was wrong...the handle is mostly flat...no camber, but the main lifting body is....

McDonnel Douglas proved with the F-4...that if you put a big enough engine on it...you can make a brick fly.....

Back