Flywheel Differences

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the.original.kermit

I know everything
I am thinking about buying an aluminum or lightweight clutch for my 1989 Honda CRX HF. I found that there is a difference in flywheels between 1989 and 1990. Is this because of the different clutch size? I have an 1989 Si clutch and pp. If I were to buy a 1990-1991 flywheel would I then need to buy a 1990-1991 pp and clutch?

Thanks,
Tony

Can anyone help here? I know that a 1990-1991 clutch doesn't fit on a 1989 flywheel, but will a 1989 clutch and pp fit on a 1990-1991 flywheel?

Last edited:
Think about that logically. If it doesn't work one way, why would it work the other?

'88 has a different spline count, '89 has a smaller diameter, and '90+ are the same.

Well it would make sense that a large clutch wouldn't fit into a smaller flywheel, but LOGICALLY a small clutch might to fit on a bigger flywheel.

Sorry, my second post really didn't make sense, I fixed it now.

My thought was that a 200 mm flywheel only has a 200 mm diameter cutout on it, so you aren't going to be able to fit a 212 mm clutch disk in it. A 212 mm flywheel is cutout with a 212 mm diameter, so a 200 mm clutch disk would fit inside of it.

My real concern was that a 200 mm pressure plate wouldn't bolt onto a 212 mm flywheel, and you're saying that it doesn't, so question answered I guess. Thanks.

Because I just took out the clutch from Si parts car and it's like BRAND new. Not even broken in. Problem is that it's a 89 Si. I was thinking about upgrading to a Aluminum clutch (btw, I'm doing all of this work because my hg went out on my 89 HF. also will be reringing the engine too) and the only flywheels that I'm seeing on ebay are for 90-91 (212 mm).

It seems like a shame to throw away a perfectly good clutch...

Well, not "throw" away, I just wish that I didn't have to spend another $80 for a new clutch when I have pretty much a new one right here.

Oh well, what is it, cheap, fast, or reliable...

I'm not fast or reliable... was kinda going for cheap

See, when you look at it logically it figures itself out. :)

All golden retrievers are dogs, but not all dogs are golden retrievers... Just because it doesn't work one way doesn't mean that it can't work the other.

Either way, I just went out to the barn, and decided I should measure the old one and make sure that someone didn't swap in a 90+ pp, flywheel, and clutch before I put in the order for a new one. The disk measured 21cm across exactly so it looks like someone upgraded the clutch at some point.

wait wait wait, now im confused ...

i thought any d-series clutch, flywheel, pp, etc ... would work with any other part of the same engine series ...

Back