Flywheel for boost???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MugenCRX

I remember hearing somewhere that it is good to have a lighter flywheel for boost, because the lighter it is the faster your motor revs and the quicker you spool, but I also remember hearing that if your flywheel is too light, you will not get good torque #'s.

Soooooo...... I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as a flywheel weight and brand for my Type-R/Turbo Project. :blink:

I use the ACT Streetlite in mine it's 12.5 Lbs. also with a streetdisk and xtreme pressure plate. works no problem, also what I liked is the stock flywheel had 2 bolts per section for bolting the pressure plate down and with the streetlite you can get more bolts from honda and go 3 bolts per section!!!
Jim

a lighter flywheel will not reduce torque numbers.

the flywheel is a torque storage unit, not a producer. what it does is provide your engine with energy when your engine can't. so, when your starting from a stop, it's like a buffer. if you suck at the gas pedal, then the flywheel makes it easier to get moving. if you're good on the gas, you dont need it to help you get moving. the flywheel will only release energy when the systen(driver train, car) need it; like when your going uphill and your not giving it enough gas. a heavier flywheel will help you maintain speed better. think of it as a big rim. big rims wont make your car any faster. it will take longer to get it spinning, but once it's spinning, it will take longer to slow down. well, the flywheel does that exact thing. it basically increases inertial in the system. inertial is not the same as torque. inertial is the ability of an obect to resist movement, more precisely- change in movement. so once you get a heavier flywheel up to speed, it's harder to slow down. when you're starting from a stop, you can let the heavy flywheel do most of the work. a lighter flywheel requires you to have more engine imput, because the flywheel resists change in motion less. so technically, you're not losing torque with a lighter flywheel- it just seems that way sometimes because you may have to rev the engine higher before you start to move, because of mass. you have the exact same amount of power and torque no matter how much mass you have.

heavier flywheel = more mass = slower acceleration simply because you have more inertia. a more massiver flywheel is easier to drive becasue the transitions are slower. since you have to get in on the gas sooner with the lighter flywheel. when you start from a stop, people think you've lost torque, or because you'll stall the engine more if you fuck up. because you have less mass resisting motion with the lighter flywheel. because you have less inertia. so you lose speed in the engine faster when you engage the clutch.
massive flywheel = slower transition = slower gas input with your foot
light flywheel = faster transition = more gas input with your foot
lighter = less rotational mass = easier to spin = more free revving

so if someone wants to say that you've lost torque, then yes- you've lost torque that's stored inthe flywheel.. but you've gained torque that can be provided by the engine

now, all that in mind, there is such a thing as too light. you have to have enough inertia to keep the engine spinning in between power pulses.. so too light= no engine movement in between pulses, or not enough to keep the engine rotating when there is no power
this is in the neighborhood of 4 pounds.

7.5 lbs is the lightest i would go, but there are some people running 6.5 on the street.

Originally posted by calvin@Aug 4 2004, 04:44 PM
Fidanzia flywheel
[post=372654]Quoted post[/post]​

That tells me nothing!

I am asking about flywheel weight, not brand.

Originally posted by KloggMonkey@Aug 1 2004, 06:47 PM
I belive the type r one that have should be factory pre lighten-ed im not sure how much exactly it wieghs.
[post=371173]Quoted post[/post]​

Stock ITR Flywheel is 14lbs... thats what im using, resurfaced. damn haven't posted in here in a lonnnnnnnnnnng time... got a boosted 94 GSR now :D

Back