Fog-proofing my car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Guy

In preperation for foggy morning commutes to csus next semester I am trying to get my crx prepared to deal with heav fog. Being that my car did not come from the factory with fog lights i am looking for reccomendations for a quality pair, preferably keeping it under $150. Also I seem to recall that some european Integras are equipped with a big red light/reflector on their rear bumpers, and was wondering if something similar was avalable through the aftermarket in the US. Finally, I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with aftermarket headlight bulbs (eg. silverstars) and fog. <robocop> Thank you for your cooperation</robocop>

I liked my PIAA foglights in my Si a lot and have admired the Hella ones. Keep in mind though that in really heavy fog conditions, it's just better to pull off the road. It's not a matter of you seeing better with foglights, but the rest of the drivers who can't see or are driving too fast under the conditions. I used to hit some really heavy fogbanks in CT. Scary shit. :ph34r:

i have silverstars and there great. i have to adjust the aim because for some reason my headlights are pointed almost directly at the ground (probably a halloween prank from my considerate friends) but they still worked great. i dont now about fog though.

if you will be driving in fog stay away from any lights on the very white/blueish end of the spectrum white / blueish light refracts / reflects off of the fog a lot more causing much more glare than a more yellowish light

now this does not mean go get some cheap ass lights... they will still suck ass

www.suvlights.com has lots of different lights with very good prices

phillips weathervisions are a great choice, and they are only $12 each ($48 if you want to replace all 4 bulbs in your teg.. less than the cost of 2 silverstars at autozone)

aside from those
id look into some yellow fog lights (yellow lenses will generally give a much deeper yellow than yellow bulbs will)... for fog lights i actually do recomend a cheaper set strictly because they are very likely to get fucked up somehow... lenses tend to get cracked often from rocks etc. getting kicked up at them... or getting splashed with cold water (hot glass/plastic + cold water = cracked glass/plastic)... or you go sliding into a snow bank and they get fucked up that way... basicly foglights WILL get fucked up, so dont go crazy blowing assloads of cash on them

hope that helps

:werd: Stay away from the white/blue ones, yellow is your best choice in the fog. Make sure you aim the fog lights low to the ground too, as otherwise they will be in my eyes (and other drivers, but I always seem to get stuck in front of the dipshit with the brightest lights that are miss aligned) the entire communte, and that would suck.

Ive done a bit of searching, and its kind of hard to find a decent pair of yellow fog lights (well, ones that dont look like they belong on an 80's subaru gl). Ive been doing some reading and a number of people have suggested these http://www.classicgarage.com/classicgarage/dualfogmod20.html (made by hella or something). I know that they are white, but I figure that at the very least if they arnt effective as they are i can always put a coat of orange over the lenses.
As to the headlight bulbs, I recently found out a friend of mine has some in his integra so Ill see if he will take me for a drive at night so i can see how they do. Ill also take a serious look into the phillips weather vision lights as well.
Thanks for your help suggestions and concerns.

My PIAA's were yellow. Yeah, go with yellow foglights. Don't confuse them with "driving lights". Just saw a neat auction end on eBay with a set of JDM driving & foglights for a CRX. The lights were set into the bumper and so ultimately there were three pairs of lights on the front end. The regular headlights, a pair of fogs and then a pair of driving lights. Wow.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 15 2004, 08:29 PM
who, me?

what kind bulbs you got?
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

err sorry, that was in ref to 94RedSiGal's post

Back