For the Computer HW geeks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
System Configuration

General Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
DirectX Version 9.0b
Mobo Manufacturer rP5Xr0.*tu. (I don't know what is up here, it is an Asus P4S800)
Mobo Model
AGP Rates (Current/Available) 8x / 4x, 8x
CPU Intel Pentium 4 2404 MHz
FSB 512 MHz (Should be 800MHz)
Memory 512 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (I have the Albatron card)
Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
Driver Version 5.3.0.3
Driver WHQL Certified Yes
Video Memory 256 MB
Core Clock 54 MHz (Not sure about an exact number here but it should be significantly higher)
Memory Clock 100 MHz (This should be 400Mhz)

Sound Information
Sound Adapter Driver Name SB Live! Wave Device
Sound Adapter Driver Version 5.1.2603.0

Benchmark Settings
Program Version 3DMark03 Revision 4 Build 0
Resolution 1024x768@32 bit
Texture Filtering Optimal
Pixel Processing / Antialiasing None
Post Processing false
Vertex Shaders Optimal

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 2158 3DMarks
CPU Score 487.0 CPUMarks

Detailed Test Results

Game Tests
GT1 - Wings of Fury 96.6 fps
GT2 - Battle of Proxycon 13.4 fps
GT3 - Troll's Lair 11.4 fps
GT4 - Mother Nature 10.9 fps

CPU Tests
CPU Test 1 52.4 fps
CPU Test 2 9.0 fps

Feature Tests
Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 594.2 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 975.0 MTexels/s
Vertex Shader 6.5 fps
Pixel Shader 2.0 10.9 fps
Ragtroll 6.7 fps

Sound Tests
No sounds 38.8 fps
24 sounds 32.7 fps
60 sounds N/A

These numbers a horrible, this machine should be able to do much better. My question is how to extract more from this hardware. I have installed all the latest drivers and the sites I have found about my Video card claim that it is not particularly overclockable. Any suggestions?

Whoever manufactures your motherboard should have some sort of link to update your BIOS. I would try that first. Good luck.

Oh, my brother is a gaming freak, and I recall him saying one time that aftermarket drivers for the video card can help quite a bit. I think he tried like four before he found a good one the last time. I think that they were from Drivers.com

Wha? You don't want to install any kind of aftermarket drivers for any of your hardware. People on the outside have NO idea how to write drivers for a complex device that they didn't design, especially when it has 30 million+ transistors in the core alone.

Yeah, aftermarket drivers sound like a bad idea to me.

The only time you want to use aftermarket drivers are when you're using an old 3dfx Voodoo card. Support was halted on them and the aftermarket picked up the slack for them. There's no other case where it's a good idea though.

Here I go again, but make sure you format and reinstall, and not with some PC company restore disk, you need a clean version of XP. After that if you're still having trouble check your bios settings and make sure nothing is blatently off. Try resetting to defaults, too. If still no luck go ahead and find a bios upgrade.

so you are disappointed when running 3DMark2003? That program is really hard on the hardware and results are nowhere near what they would be for 3DMark2001.

How are the games running? I wouldn't worry about getting xx.xx FPS in 3Dmark...I would worry about how the games I play really run.

Keep in mind that 3DMark2003 is evil. That program makes you want to reach useless levels of FPS and you usually end up breaking something and having to replace your system components. If you don't see any slow-downs in the games you play, I wouldn't worry.

if you want to re-format and re-install follow these steps:

After resetting BIOS to defaults (and reconfiguring any specifics and such)

1. Format
2. Install WinXP
3. Install latest Mobo Chipset Drivers, which in your case is an SiS Chipset
4. Run Windows Update (assuming you have the net working already)
5. Install DirectX 9.0b
6. Install Latest Video Drivers from NVidia
7. Install Sound Card Drivers and rest of peripherals.
8. Install Anti-Virus but don't go on any unofficial download sites before you have the AV installed of course.

I wouldn't recommend the BIOS update until EVERYTHING else has failed, though.

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre@Jan 14 2004, 12:46 PM
so you are disappointed when running 3DMark2003? That program is really hard on the hardware and results are nowhere near what they would be for 3DMark2001.

How are the games running? I wouldn't worry about getting xx.xx FPS in 3Dmark...I would worry about how the games I play really run.

Keep in mind that 3DMark2003 is evil. That program makes you want to reach useless levels of FPS and you usually end up breaking something and having to replace your system components. If you don't see any slow-downs in the games you play, I wouldn't worry.

1. Format
2. Install WinXP
5. Install DirectX 9.0b
8. Install Anti-Virus but don't go on any unofficial download sites before you have the AV installed of course.

The numbers from the benchmarking program are not what is concerning me. This started when I installed Morrowind. I exceed all the hard requirements but it still runs incredibly slow. I see about 5-10 fps in some areas. I have tried toning the video for that game down and nothing seems to improve it. What I don't understand is why games like Serious Sam 2 and Mechwarrior 4 Mercs all look really good and give me no problems but Morrowind looks like ass.

EDIT: I am not real wild about formatting and reinstalling. Windows is completely up to date, I am running all the latest drivers for all of my hardware and I am running DirectX 9.0b.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Jan 14 2004, 07:57 PM-->
La_Pieuvre
@Jan 14 2004, 12:46 PM

1. Format
2. Install WinXP
5. Install DirectX 9.0b

The numbers from the benchmarking program are not what is concerning me. This started when I installed Morrowind. I exceed all the hard requirements but it still runs incredibly slow. I see about 5-10 fps in some areas. I have tried toning the video for that game down and nothing seems to improve it. What I don't understand is why games like Serious Sam 2 and Mechwarrior 4 Mercs all look really good and give me no problems but Morrowind looks like ass.

EDIT: I am not real wild about formatting and reinstalling. Windows is completely up to date, I am running all the latest drivers for all of my hardware and I am running DirectX 9.0b.

Oh, I see.

Well, if Morrowind runs slowly compared to action-intensive games like MW4 and Serious Sam 2, I would think that the problem is linked to Morrowind.
Have you patched it to the latest version and checked the knowledge base for known issues?
I don't think the requirements for Morrowind are as high as the other two games so I would check the developer's website for any help.
Also, try disabling the shadows. It's often a good remedy to low frames per second issues.

EDIT: Also, according to the Morrowind forums ( --> Here <--), low FPS is a common issue. One guy recommended this --> link <-- to fix the problem. Another guy said the shadows were the culprit. Try that before you do anything else. :)
Hope this helps out.

I have tried disabling the shadows that that didn't fix anything (I read that thread a couple of days ago). I am going to try the optimizer tonight when my roommate comes home.

as i completely offtopic but somewhat related statement, i really love morrowind and i have the EXACT same problem with the low framrate- it's so frigging annoying- but it only happens at certain times and i have shadows completely off- oh well, sorry to jack it, i just was happy to relate to another morrowinder

I am not a Morrowinder yet as I haven't been able to stomach the crappy performance long enough to attempt the game.

I tried the optimizer last night, it didn't work. So then I turned my view distance down to the minimum and it is still choppy. Better, but still too choppy to play. Any other thoughts?

Back