For those who remember an IBM 5150

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I remember Van Halen 5150 too.

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 that was purchased in August of 1984. Dual floppy drives and nice green monitor. It was a start anyway. Used it mainly in a small business for book keeping chores.

^^^^^ Isn't that a Tandy or something like that? My cousin had one way back then too.

^^^ Yes indeed - TRS = Tandy Radio Shack. Had it's own Operating system also. TRSDOS - Tandy Radio Shack Disc Operating System. Probably a proprietary variant of MS or IBM DOS.

The one I had came with dual 180k 5.25" floppy drives and 64k of RAM. I later added another 64k to take it all the way to 128k. Smokin hot.

I used that rig for a small business and all the way through college. In it's time it was a decent rig and was really nice for college papers and lecture notes consolidation and archive.

Yup, I had an 8088 clone machine- even had a turbo setting to go from 4.77MHz up to 8.something. It was a HUGE speed increase back then. I remember it costing a whopping $1500 too, about half the price of the true IBM branded 8088 machine.

Spent lots of hours on BBSs- and one of my favorites was an automotive based one. Gotta love it.

our familys first laptop -

c.datagen.one2.JPEG

Data General One, Model 2 laptop computer
Manufacturer: Data General
CPU: 80C88
Original Price: $2500
Original Date: 1984

Back