Forced Reving

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sergey P.A.

ok, I am talking about the downshifting you use to make your car go slower, so is that good bad, and why?

because I spoke with one guy and he said that when you use downshifting to make you car slower, something like Forced Reving happens=you force your engine to rev.

and he said that this is very bad on you engine= Not on tranny,

and considering that I have a stock 2001 GSR with only 3,000 miles on it, should I wait till I have about 5g's on the engine than race and rev it up, or I can do it right know,

//

your tires dont have time to break free when you force the car into a gear lower than it should be in.. you just get a maddd high rev... and that leads to floating valves...

learn how to double clutch... and learn when you can and cant downshift so that when you double clutch your rpms wont be more than they should be. :moon:

i call bullshit highberboi...when you are heel/driving you use the engine to help slow you down also. you are pressin the brake while you are double clutchin, using the engine to help the brakes out.

when you just drop a gear w/o matchin revs, you are causing every shaft in your engine to exert a mean vibration that will fuck up the bearing surfaces.

i race road course

the BRAKES are for slowing the car

the ONLY time you use the engine to slow the car is if you only need to slow a little by lifting off the gas for a second

you NEVER down shift to slow the car

heel toe braking is strictly about keeping the car smooth through the corner (the smoother you are through the corner the faster you can take the corner)

its not a good idea

its not going to instantly kill the engine

it does put added stress on it though

you are putting yourself at higher risk of over reving and blowing your engine

just use your brakes ... thats what they are there for

what about downshifting in order to make the car slower lets say on the flash lights, I am hot talking about the high reving, jest you know daily driver thing, is this safe...

sure
do it up

its still not "good" for the engine... but at lower RPMs the stress will be lower

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 10 2003, 01:54 AM
its not a good idea

its not going to instantly kill the engine

it does put added stress on it though

you are putting yourself at higher risk of over reving and blowing your engine

just use your brakes ... thats what they are there for

:blink: Every other person ever talking about this has said the exact opposite. The 60 year old hotrodder car guy, my brother, my dad, the mechanic I used to go to, etc.

Honestly, I don't understand how you're going to hurt your engine that bad by downshifting from 4th to 3rd and only jumping the rpms up by 1100 from 3000 rpm. For that sake, downshifting to floor it would do the same thing, only worse because you're going to end up revving it higher when it gets into a lower gear.

Basically anything you do to your engine will hurt it when it's moving.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 10 2003, 11:00 AM
solsi, who told you not to use the engine to help slow you down?

EVERY instructor ive ever had

using the engine to slow you by staying in gear and lifting off the throttle :thumbsup:

using the engine to slow you by shifting to a lower gear :thumbsdown:

Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 10 2003, 12:22 PM
Honestly, I don't understand how you're going to hurt your engine that bad by downshifting from 4th to 3rd and only jumping the rpms up by 1100 from 3000 rpm. For that sake, downshifting to floor it would do the same thing, only worse because you're going to end up revving it higher when it gets into a lower gear.

at low RPMs like you are talking about it isnt going to matter .... i already said that

on the street at low RPMs go ahead and do whatever you want
its not the best practice to get yourself into though

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Dec 10 2003, 10:24 AM-->
simplyfast
@Dec 10 2003, 11:00 AM

using the engine to slow you by staying in gear and lifting off the throttle :thumbsup:

:werd:
i can vouch for that with over a year of road course experience.

also, what is cheaper to replace? clutch, tranny, engine internals? or brake pads and rotors? which is cheaper?

Originally posted by B16+Dec 10 2003, 02:16 PM-->
Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 10 2003, 10:24 AM
simplyfast
@Dec 10 2003, 11:00 AM

i can vouch for that with over a year of road course experience.

also, what is cheaper to replace? clutch, tranny, engine internals? or brake pads and rotors? which is cheaper?

I have a friend who makes a habit of always engine braking like crazy. He's on his 3rd engine now (3sgte to boot), and still doesn't get why his oil seals/valvetrain/whatever keeps going bad. He is one :fr:

Back