Forced Reving

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:werd:

Same as the guy who blew up his GT-S swap (installed by Intercrew) in his new Celica after only 3 days...

I'd assume you would only need brakes for a road course. Just think if you are in full blown 3rd heading into a corner... the engine backpressure mixed with the brakes is plenty to slow you. I guess you just needa keep the engine in powerband though.

Road racing sounds hard. I think I'll stick to the 1320.

This one guy (B16 in a CRX) was going from full 3rd to 4th but popped the clutch and it was in 2nd instead of 4th. The V-AFC read 9999 rpm, the shift light stayed on and didn't go off, and it was some serious valves tapping pistons with a spun rod bearing.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 10 2003, 01:37 AM
i race road course

the BRAKES are for slowing the car

the ONLY time you use the engine to slow the car is if you only need to slow a little by lifting off the gas for a second

you NEVER down shift to slow the car

heel toe braking is strictly about keeping the car smooth through the corner (the smoother you are through the corner the faster you can take the corner)

heel-toe is also more about keeping our gutless motors in their powerband than being smooth thru the corner. of course, it keeps things smoother by making you not have do downshift mid turn. if you are downshifting IN the corner you are not doing it right ;)

anyways, for street driving sometimes i find myself revmatching down thru the gears. but never do i just drop down a gear to slow down, i will always downshift/revmatch when the revs get to ~ 1500.

and, not to be an ass...
but, just because you "race" (hpde/track events im guessing?) road courses doesnt mean you know everything. granted i know that you dont suck, but the fact that you have had on track experience means little in terms of your knowledge.

i have been autoxing for 3 years and started going to the track last year. i openly admit that i do not know everything, nor am i the best driver ever. me going and drving on a track does not suddenly make me know everything there is to know about how to drive a car

pills- ive broke traction downshifting before, i was comming into a 90+degree corner and was going into 1st, before i could get on the gas to bring the revs up my foot slipped off the clutch. fortunatly i was still on the brakes and only going like 25 (1st gear redlines at 33mph for the ls) so i didnt over-rev or anything nasty... but it can happen even at lower speeds w/o very high revs.

well solsi, youre right. after extensive hard driving today in the rain i decided that using your engine to slow you down isnt that helpful.

but ill still argue that if you do it right you wont cause damage to your engine.

i actually did this "forced revving" for about a year with my crx. it helps you come to a stop and really lets the stress off your brakes, but i heard it was bad for my clutch so i stopped doing it. it actually burns gas too. i noticed my gas mileage improve after i stopped doing it.

thats interesting, I never use to downshift until one day one of my friend goes "how come you don't downshift to help you stop?" and ever since then I have been doing it usually only at low RPM's. oh well back to how I was doin it in the first place.

If you want to slow down from a speeding car, put it in neutral and use the brake or you could put it in fifth gear and use the brake to stop until you get to the desire mph. Dropping down to a lower gear will only make you go faster.

Originally posted by Teambypass@Dec 15 2003, 12:01 PM
Dropping down to a lower gear will only make you go faster.

uh no. like i said i did this for a year in my crx. it definitely slows u down. also, putting it in 5th gear will not make it any easier to stop and can make your engine stall if you are going too slow.

Originally posted by Teambypass@Dec 15 2003, 10:01 AM
Dropping down to a lower gear will only make you go faster.

That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Ever tried compression braking with a 10.6:1 CR engine? You most definitely slow down.

Originally posted by Teambypass@Dec 15 2003, 12:01 PM
If you want to slow down from a speeding car, put it in neutral and use the brake or you could put it in fifth gear and use the brake to stop until you get to the desire mph. Dropping down to a lower gear will only make you go faster.

wtf are you talking about...this is called downshifting, as well as using your engine to brake, or SLOW down the vehicle, or in a racing instance, it allows your car to be in the "sweetspot" for going through that shicane at 60mph.

:asshat:

ok, we not only have people who don't have a clue about engines and shit like that,

we have people who can't even drive in here,

teamBypass, man sell your automatic and learn how to drive stikshift,

and then you tell me if downshifting in order to stop the car makes the car slower or not,

cruising on Neutral in a 5th gear will get you are the road, you will end up in a dich, so if you don't know jest shutfkup,

:whatafucktard: :whatafucktard: :whatafucktard: :whatafucktard: :whatafucktard:

if you want the down shifting to slow you down, don't press the gas pedall,

:ufucktard: :ufucktard: :ufucktard:

haha, the guy that started this thread is flaming the people responding...how the tables are turning...but I completely agree with you on this flame. Anyway, downshift to put your engine in the sweet spot, usually above where the vtec lobes kick in if you have vtec. Use your brakes if you want to slow down when driving normal, engine braking is for 18 wheelers with a million pounds in tow and a motor bigger than our cars. B)

don't get me wrong peple, I really apreciate your advices and stuff but Teambypass doesn't know what he is talkin' about,

:angry:

damn you didnt just kill him, u buried him and put a tombstone on. calm down!

Originally posted by 98integrals@Dec 10 2003, 06:45 PM
and, not to be an ass...
but, just because you "race" (hpde/track events im guessing?) road courses doesnt mean you know everything. granted i know that you dont suck, but the fact that you have had on track experience means little in terms of your knowledge.

i have been autoxing for 3 years and started going to the track last year. i openly admit that i do not know everything, nor am i the best driver ever. me going and drving on a track does not suddenly make me know everything there is to know about how to drive a car

i don't think anyone stated they knew everything. i know i didn't.
i think on track experience has added a TON to my knowledge of operating my vehicle at its limits.

Originally posted by B16@Dec 19 2003, 08:18 PM
i don't think anyone stated they knew everything. i know i didn't.
i think on track experience has added a TON to my knowledge of operating my vehicle at its limits.

:werd:

i never did nor will i ever claim to be a pro or to know EVERYTHING
but having profesional instruction and actual on track experience in a racing enviroment teaches you more in one event than you will EVER learn fucking around on the street

i have done several HPDEs along with LOTS of autoX (skip barber school is in the near future :) )
i do plan to get into competitive racing (spec miata class to start) as soon as i am comfortable with my skill level and have the funds to go all the way with it

Back