Forced Reving

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

When I had my first car (volvo w/ stick shift), I did all my braking with the car in neutral. i figured why burn extra gas when all I'm trying to do is stop? The brakes seem to be more than up to the task. Two years later I'm surprised to find that my rotors are warped from excessive heat buildup. After that I started using the engine to help me slow down. I did notice decreased fuel economy, but my brakes are much happier, and there seems to be no undue wear to the valvetrain.

That being said, Volvos have a big, torquey engine, and weigh a lot more than Hondas. the 1.5-1.6 liter engines probably don't provide that much negative torque, and the brakes don't need as much force to slow a 2200-lb car.

What about if you have to stop hard? For those of us without ABSstomping on the brakes could lock them up. By downshifting you slow your engine speed as well and give you more control. instead of just standing on the brakes. works for me.

:ph34r:

look on the street .... go ahead and do whatever the fuck you want

on the track do it right

learn the concept of threshhold braking

Originally posted by 1point6@Jan 27 2004, 10:58 PM
What about if you have to stop hard? For those of us without ABSstomping on the brakes could lock them up. By downshifting you slow your engine speed as well and give you more control. instead of just standing on the brakes. works for me.

:ph34r:

what...? if you have to stop fast, dropping a gear and letting the engine wind down isn't going to make you stop fast. Knowing your brake pedal and not mashing it to the floor will get you stopped the quickest.

Threshold Braking is the maximum use of your cars available traction for deceleration. In practice Threshold Braking is instant and precise application of extremely hard pressure on the Brake Pedal to the point of impending wheel lock. Impending Wheel lock is when the tire is on the edge of sliding (You will hear a scrubbing - low squealing sound just before the wheel stops rotating) When done properly, Threshold Braking is the fastest way to stop on most surfaces. It even results in slightly shorter stops than most Anti-Lock Brake systems can accomplish.

Most ABS systems allow the wheel to stop rotation, they then release pressure and re-apply. The time between pressure release and re-application is where the ABS system loses to a good driver who is using threshold braking. Newer high performance ABS systems allow better individual wheel control, and quicker apply / release cycles. Some ABS systems, like those on the Porsche 911 and the Chevrolet Corvette are sensitive and responsive enough to still allow the driver to use Threshold Braking and will only intervene in panic stops or on extremely slippery surfaces.
On extremely slick surfaces, or in panic stop or emergency maneuvering where the driver is caught by surprise, ABS has the inherent advantage of being a "No Brainer" (ie... It always works, even if you are too excited/panicked to use the proper techniques)

For Practice, you should use a wide unobstructed space, with lots of "Run Off" room.
accelerate the car to a reasonable speed and then try to stop the car as fast (Short) as you can, without any of your tires fully locking.

thanks for the rules,

I didn't know how this thing is called but I do it on regular bases, once I had smoke comin' from my brake pads, = goin'g way too fast, in the places were I wasn't suppouse to go fast,

:)

what I was tryin' to say is that I use something familiar but I didn't know how it's called,

Back