ford focus vs wall @ 120mph

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

holy carp

images

That was insane.

damn. I've seen some 40mph crashes at work - those are nothing compared to this. at 40mph just the engine room is smashed in a little.

I don't know why it hasn't been mandated that all cars be built with an internal (even hidden) roll cage and tube system.

I'd love to see the comparable results of a nascar/etc at 120 into the same wall.

I bet the nascar driver would get out under his own power.

Sure, a few have died over the years.... but most of those were near 200 mph too don't forget. The cars are 100000x safer than a street car + helmet + seat + hans

I don't know why it hasn't been mandated that all cars be built with an internal (even hidden) roll cage and tube system.

I'd love to see the comparable results of a nascar/etc at 120 into the same wall.

once again... speed doesnt kill.... its the sudden stop

regardless of how well the car would stand up to a 120-0 stop the human body simply can not take those kinds of forces

the reason so many of the spectacular crashes in auto racing are survivable is specifically because the cars go tumbling and flying apart dispersing the energy of the crash over a large time/area
when the car comes to an abrupt stop in the crash the driver often does not walk away

We have mandates that protect criminals that break the law, why not drivers.

Dude. There's no way a human can survive 400Gs. Your skin will rip off of itself at those levels.

Did you see the drivers seat in that car? It was about as thin as a phone book. Even my skinny ass would get crushed. Even some of the most veteran fighter pilots will pass out between 6-8 Gs of force, this crash exerted 400Gs. As stated before the human body will not withstand that kind of force. I have no doubts that a NASCAR or Indy car will sandwich the same way under the same forces exerted on that Focus.

Right, i'm aware of the high G's on the stop...

That's why the cars have crumple zones/etc, to absorb the energy and slow the car down in steps.

With a billion dollar budget, i'm sure a car mfg could make a 'skelleton' that was able to disperse a crazy about of force.

Back