ford focus vs wall @ 120mph

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Did you see the drivers seat in that car? It was about as thin as a phone book. Even my skinny ass would get crushed. Even some of the most veteran fighter pilots will pass out between 6-8 Gs of force, this crash exerted 400Gs. As stated before the human body will not withstand that kind of force. I have no doubts that a NASCAR or Indy car will sandwich the same way under the same forces exerted on that Focus.
Indy car or Formula 1, sandwiched for sure. NASCAR might bounce off the wall or hit it and somersault over.

Right, i'm aware of the high G's on the stop...

That's why the cars have crumple zones/etc, to absorb the energy and slow the car down in steps.

With a billion dollar budget, i'm sure a car mfg could make a 'skelleton' that was able to disperse a crazy about of force.

How many physics classes did you take in college?

sure B... just make a car with a 30-40 foot crumple zone and all will be fine

:facepalm:

:disgust1:

its plausible, but the technology doesn't exist yet
give it another 100 years, we might have cars that fill with G absorbing foam like in the movies

yay Tempur-Pedic car

sure B... just make a car with a 30-40 foot crumple zone and all will be fine

:facepalm:

:disgust1:

Hey, I drive one of those... Unfortunately I sit 3 feet in from the front of the crumple zone. Drivers side front end impact and I can kiss my knees goodbye.

If you pause the video right as the wall is right in front of the bottom of the windshield you can see that the passengers haven't even started the forward movement from the instant stop. Your legs would be completely crushed before you even jerked forward. Crazy.

I'm not saying the car should bounce off the wall or be made out of memory foam.... but it should be survivable with some research and funding in the next X years. There should be a way to disperse the energy around the cabin and transfer it out the rear of the car.
there has to be a way to absorb or transfer the energy. Some super battery or something that doesn't exist yet that can eat the kinetic energy to reduce the effects on the humans in the car.

I'm not physics expert and won't claim to be, but it seems like it is possible to absorb this energry, or at least move the energy past the cabin before the force is felt at full blast.

8Gs is the threshold for the human body. But thats way beyond what you could withstand, even the top fuel guys have problems with their eyes when they hit the chute it slows them down quick enough to cause problems.

Strap directional bombs to the front of cars. When you hit something at a pre determined speed, it just blows through it and you continue on your merry way. Problem = solved. That'd make 20 car pile ups real interesting...

I'm not physics expert and won't claim to be, but it seems like it is possible to absorb this energry, or at least move the energy past the cabin before the force is felt at full blast.

TNGCaption31a.jpg

there are 3 basic impacts in a car accident

1 - the car hitting whatever it is hitting.

2 - the people inside the car hitting surfaces inside of the car

3 - your organs sloshing around and hitting the inside of your body... the most dangerous of these being your brain slamming against the inside of your skull

crumple zones help reduce the force created by the first impact, thus reducing the second impact... airbags, seat belts, and energy absorbing materials further reduce the second impact, thus reducing the third impact

making the vehicle more rigid will increase all 3 impact forces... and nothing short of reducing the other 2 forces will reduce the third... any rapid enough deceleration or acceleration of the body can cause the third impact type... so even completely isolating and shielding the body in an indestructible shell made of unobtanuim harvested from the mountains of Narnia still cant prevent your organs from impacting the inside of your body if you slow down fast enough

8Gs is the threshold for the human body. But thats way beyond what you could withstand, even the top fuel guys have problems with their eyes when they hit the chute it slows them down quick enough to cause problems.
Don't just read the first 4 words of something and then make a statement.

In what capacity are you trying to say 8 g's is the "threshold for the human body" ? I'm assuming you mean consciousness, because that's about the only thing you would lose after a sustained 8 g's unless it was over a really long time, like several minutes.

When it comes to g-forces on the human body, it's not just about magnitude. Duration is extremely important. For instance, a person could survive a 100 g force if it was over an extremely short duration. Fighter pilots with training and g-suits are able to endure sustained 8 g loads without losing consciousness.

Also, the area over which the force acts is also important. If you were shot in the leg, the area the bullet hit would experience extremely high forces equivalent to 50 g's depending on the type of round and distance. However, there are many people who are shot and live.

I don't know why it hasn't been mandated that all cars be built with an internal (even hidden) roll cage and tube system.

I'd love to see the comparable results of a nascar/etc at 120 into the same wall.

I bet the nascar driver would get out under his own power.
No way Brose. No Nascar crash is ever a perfect perpendicular 120mph crash with an immovable object. They all tend to feature large degrees of deflection with wide force distributions...This crash had no deflection and a very focused tiny little force distribution...The Nascar would fold up in similar fashion, the only difference being that you would get a hot small block in your lap instead of a 2.slow.

If you were shot in the leg, the area the bullet hit would experience extremely high forces equivalent to 50 g's depending on the type of round and distance. However, there are many people who are shot and live.
while the total organism will live, the object directly impacted by the force does not
use your same example and make the bullet the size of a person, or wall, and see if a person still survives the 50g impact

Problem = solved.
Problem solved, problem staying solved!, Rangers Out!

while the total organism will live, the object directly impacted by the force does not
use your same example and make the bullet the size of a person, or wall, and see if a person still survives the 50g impact

Problem solved, problem staying solved!, Rangers Out!
My point was that you can't just say "8 g's is the human threshold" without specifying some other parameters.

Back