1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford SHO and SVT

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by SolPWR, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SolPWR

SolPWR Senior Member

Are those Taurus SHO and COntour SVT's any good? im look for a nice sport sedan with some good power for not a lot of money. I can get a SHO for around 6K and SVT for about 8K Are these any good? Any other recomendations?

2. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

Everyone I've ever known that has owned an SHO really liked them. They're great daily drivers with tractable power. I know nothing about the contour SVT. I didn't even know they made them! Sounds cool, I guess, but at the end of the day, it's still a Contour.

3. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

The SHO is quicker than the SVT, and they're more plentiful. Last summer I seen an entire SHO sittin in a junkyard, engine, rims, everything. it was totalled from the rear. Parts=easy to find. cars themselves= I know of 3 for salle in the paper right now.

CSVTs are heavy and slow for the amount of power they have. The V6 isn't all it's cracked up to be, which is why Ford discontinued the car. However, it's rare and can be made pretty damn quick.

My vote still goes to a 1st generation SHO, although I'd go for a 92-95 model because thats when it looks the meanest after the 1st gen redesign.

4. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

SHO's are the shizzy for daily drivers. They are way fun to drive, have plenty of power, and are 4 doors. I can't stand the bodystyle but if you can, go for the 1989 version, it had the yamaha engine and it was way better !!!

5. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

heres a cool site to check out other Taurus cars: http://www.taurusclub.com/

pretty good site and the people there are helpful and knowledgeable.

6. jamesA

Yamaha got out of building the sho motors in the latter years, including 98.

Yamaha was exclusive in building the 3.0/3.2 V6s and the 96 or so 3.4 V8s.

I would advise against the 96-99 body because it's heavier, with more displacement and the same amount of power. Plus you'll have to deal with finding out if the camshafts have been welded as they've been known to break the gears off and destroy the entire head.

7. Prowler

Prowler Super Moderator

yeah, the latest SHO's are notorious for the camshaft problems. that's why i didn't go with one.

as for the mid 90's sho's, they're quick. i'll give ya that, but they haven't been the all mighty Mustang lol. two races, and two wins =) anyways, those years are prone to electrical sensor problems. and a simple tune up is a weekend project. also clutches are kinda spendy and go out quick.

but there's not too many problems with a mid 90's sho. i'd go for it, except i think they're too ugly.

8. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

My brother's friend has a early 90's SHO. Its really quick for a big sedan and auto. It does take a little more work for a tuneup and stuff but its worth it. For having 100k also, it runs really good, and isn't the usual ford you'd say. Nothing major has gone out either.

9. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

I've actually driven in the older sho's, not sure which but from the movie robocop :)

fucker has some power, lots of tq and come in 5speed.

when the contour SVT came out I thought they looked very nice, actually considered getting one

10. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

the old SVT's were actually semi quick. They ran 15.7's stock, and had room for improvement. Reason for their departure was not because it was slow or anything like that, but because they were peices of shit. They made a new record for number of recals, however the title holder is now the Focus. Also, the cars were costing too much to build, and did not have a high enough profit.

11. 90 accord

90 accord Chicks dig the box Moderator VIP

my boss had a 96-97ish sho, cost him $300 to have the spark plugs changed..

i've taken him, and earlier sho's as well. not very fast.

12. jamesA

because it's a FWD V8, they had to take the engine off the mounts and rock it forward to get to the rear four plugs...

13. JosePires

JosePires New Member

Thats a bunch of bull what have u taken an sho with not a 1st generation u havent 0-60 5.7 in a five speed stock wat u got that does that.. I havent spent anything on my sho and for 300.00 it has over 350 hp 0-60 in 4.9 secs 1/4 in high 11s we should meet go for a race....ill still burn if it was stock...

14. formby

formby learning in progress

one of my close friends has owned two 92-95 and one 96-98 SHO. out of the three they like the older ones better. since they still own all 3 and they dont give them any problems, i would say they are good cars

they also do all the maintenance themselves.

15. jamesA

what the? you post in a two year old thread with gibberish I can't even understand.

16. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

shutup fucker and -1 for brining a thread back and adding nothing to it.

17. formby

formby learning in progress

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

thats the 3rd one i get cought in because of a nOOb... damn beer, and dates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.