ford to borrow 18billion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

they should just close and get it over with.
along with GM.

if you made a product that didn't suck, you could run a profitable company.

lmao

I dare you to come to a Mustang forum and say that... I really need a good laugh from the massive amounts of hostile poo flinging that would come from it.

So what. Its an older company that has been around awhile, Japan will be there some day, even if they do suck. I still blame most of it on the unions.

unions are a big part of it, no doubt.

the mustang is a fine auto. I'd never own one, but its a decent car.

not so much can be said about the rest of the product line....

The thing is, Ford/Chevy have tried to attack EVERY niche possible in the world of drivers. And thus, they have liek 20+ models.

Look at ALL the foreign companies... Japanese, German, Italian, hell even the korean boxes like kia... 4 or 5 cars, 1 or 2 suv/trucks. That's about it.

25 cars
15 trucks/suvs

it just doesn't work.

ford blew their wad putting everything they had into large trucks and SUVs... then the gas prices went stupid and people started shying away from large gas gulping vehicles... ford said "oh fuck....."... they took a shit ton of losses and now have to downsize (fire a bunch of people) they are now in the middle of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars each to tens of thousands of workers in the form of "buy outs" and they also are staring down the barrel of a complete product redesign (not cheap)...

the part i dont get is that they are putting all this time and money into developing more big bullshit cars and "crossover vehicles" based off of the shit ass fivehundred... when all they really need to do is start offering some of their european/australian lineup over here... fucking morons

There is alot going on.
1. They don't have the entire US market to themselves so if the union says we want another $2 an hour, Ford can't raise thier prices on thier vehicles and stay competitive. The market alone keeps eating away at thier share, the best thing they have going is the world market and thier cheap prices.
2. Thier quality has traditionally been bad. They make some good cars and boast about the quality, ie the Taurus, and then they make some bad cars that turn people away again, ie Explorer and Windstar. They are much much better than they were in the early 80's, but definetly not Toyota-Honda quality. People don't trust them.
3. The union is a HUGE burdon, labor they can't get rid of because of contracts, every company shrinks once in awhile, but Ford-GM can't get rid of half thier workforce when they need to. The labor force is much older than Toyota-Honda, they have huge pensions to pay to the overpaid employees and with people living longer have more and more expenses.

Lookup sometime what kind of benefits a UAW member gets and you will be sick to your stomach, they took advantage of what they had, and now the American auto industry is suffering. Even when GM, Ford, Daimler-Chrysler and Delphi basically have them by the balls they still ask for the huge wages, health care, 22 holidays (estimated), vacation and whatever else. Did you know if a membor gets laid off, they have a 1 year job bank that pays them normal wages even though they are not working, plus they are guarenteed a job if something opens (so much for a younger workforce coming in). The best thing they can do is to buy them out, close plants and make the UAW as weak as possible before they can expand in the US again.

..... EVERY niche possible in the world of drivers. And thus, they have liek 20+ models.

Look at ALL the foreign companies... Japanese, German, Italian, hell even the korean boxes like kia... 4 or 5 cars, 1 or 2 suv/trucks. That's about it.

25 cars
15 trucks/suvs

it just doesn't work.

Not true at all. American companies have the fewest cars offered, with some exceptions such as SAAB, Volvo, Peugeot, and perhaps Hyundai. (Who are busy with Military contracts, jets, industrial equipment, and electronics)

Toyota has no fewer than 40 models offered. You're thinking of the US offerings.

I'm gonna buy stock in Ford while they are in the shitter, and then when they start offering models that are competitive (it WILL happen) that stock will be worth something. New CEO = Ford has a good chance of gaining a larger share in the market in a reasonable timeframe. I see good cars coming from Ford to the US shores (they already have good models elsewhere in the world... read: Focus RS turbo AWD) within 3 years, and I'll have my hand in that.

Back