Ford to Pay $369M to Paralyzed Woman

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Personally I think anyone that has an SUV knows that it has a very high chance for roll-over & has accepted that by purchasing it. It's not like it's a little known fact & they could've gotten a station wagon that handles better, is much less likely to roll over, & has more space than a SUV.

With that said, if what the article said is true about the design flaws that were not fixed due to cost, then I think Ford should be taught a lesson by having to pay for their mistake.

This is stupid. People who drive SUVs and assume that they can handle like Corvettes or even normal cars are stupid. Compromises are made on every single product that makes it to market, no matter what. You can't sue a company because you misuse their product and it bites you in the ass.

They never said what the "design flaw" was either. Such an enlightening article... <_<

i'm guessing the design flaw would be too much clearance...
i mean come on people... an SUV is for road driving, not sport utility...
fucking gas guzzlers...

I have got to agree with Mike, the SUV can't be driven like a vette, it will roll over very easily, but if you are driving the vette the way it was meant to be driven and you crash you are in major trouble. Lets say you somehow survive an accident while driving the vette and you decide to sue chevy because they made the car too fast, you knew you were buying a fast ass car, that is all fiberglass same scenerio IMO.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Jun 4 2004, 02:11 PM
Lets say you somehow survive an accident while driving the vette

The BMX/dirt bike rider Pastrana lives near me & he wrecked his Corvette going well over 100 MPH & survived. He did have substantial injuries- I think he lost a few fingers- but the passenger was in critical care for a very long time & I think is paralyzed. He was going so fast when he crashed the motor came completely out of the car (ended up in several pieces) & was a good ways away from where the car ended up. He didn't sue Chevy.

What it comes down to is cost analysis... haven't you people ever seen Fight Club? Seriously though, it's all about profit. If lowering the center of gravity or whatever else is needed to make the Explorer more stable cuts too much of the profit for Ford, they're not going to do it, especially now that SUV sales are suffering due to the price of gas.

they have also had the technology to make SUV's as enviromentally friendly as a normal car... but that too would cut their profits...

major corporations are in bed with the government that is suspossed to be safeguarding us... the whole system is corrupt...

I thought there was supposed to be a cap on high-dollar cases ?

In her defense, Ford does make a shitty product. After the whole Firestone case, the MOMENT Firestone settled and the case was over, Ford recalled all of the same SUVs for defective suspension components.

That's sheisty as hell.

-> Steve

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jun 4 2004, 02:58 PM
major corporations are in bed with the government that is suspossed to be safeguarding us... the whole system is corrupt...

All thanks to that idiot son of an asshole, Bush.
Damn you Bush!!! Damn you to HELL!!!

Fuck ford. They know their cars are unsafe and they don't give a fuck. Some ford guy even admitted in an interview that fords roofs arnt strong enough to withstand a roll over.

The lesson to be learned: Ford sucks, dont buy them.

...also, Calesta: swerving to avoild shit is NOT a corvette meneuver. Its something people often need to do. If she hadn't of swerved she might have punctured a tire and rolled anyway. She was doing what she *thought* she needed to do to avoid an acident.

She was doing what she *thought* she needed to do to avoid an acident.

and considering it was a SHE, i'm guessing she overreacted and jerked the wheel...
you can roll any car by doing that at highway speeds...

and i don't know of any car manufacturer that makes a roof that won't cave when rolled over except maybe volvo's..

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jun 4 2004, 04:09 PM
She was doing what she *thought* she needed to do to avoid an acident.

and considering it was a SHE, i'm guessing she overreacted and jerked the wheel...
you can roll any car by doing that at highway speeds...

Just because it was a woman driver... anyone else could have panicked too. Old people, new drivers, even men. I see so many men driving on the highway resting their cheek or chin on their left arm that is propped up on the window sill. They probably have their cruise control on too.

And that could have been civicious driving that Ford SUV.... lol

Sorry Will, I had too.... ;)

And I'd like to see people take a class and get special licensing in order to drive an SUV, just like they do with motorcycles. A standard drivers license should only cover driving a regular car...

And I'd like to see people take a class and get special licensing in order to drive an SUV, just like they do with motorcycles. A standard drivers license should only cover driving a regular car...

now thats a new idea...

i like it...

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 4 2004, 03:06 PM
...also, Calesta: swerving to avoild shit is NOT a corvette meneuver. Its something people often need to do. If she hadn't of swerved she might have punctured a tire and rolled anyway. She was doing what she *thought* she needed to do to avoid an acident.

That is true...

BUT

Rolling over a truck / SUV because you swerved doesn't mean it's Ford fault that you went on your roof. There's too little information in that article to really tell who's at fault- but in a case like this with such little evidence presented, I would be inclined to side with the auto manufacturer.

i'm guessing there was more evidence to sway the jury...?

i hope at least... but we all know how well jury(s) work, or don't work to be more accurate...

I agree that men and women can equally be bad drivers, granted women get in more accidents, but not necessarily because of bad driving but because of putting make up on or something along those lines. I also don't understand why most of you have such a problem with SUV's so they suck up a lot of gas, it isn't affecting you so who cares. Trucks are just as dangerous should people not drive those? I say let people drive what they want if you have a problem with it, who cares, they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back