Forrest Griffen got embarrassed....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
s5ixp0.gif

Cliffs:
Griffen tried really hard, Silva didn't care...

I knew Silva would take it but that was the weakest finish ever. Griffin looked tired from the start. I was hoping for the hometown boy to pull it off but im not surprised. It was truly embarrassing especially when he ran out of the arena.

People don't understand knock out punches DO NOT have to be hard, it takes very little pressure to knock someone out, it's all about landing it in the right place.

He didn't even get truly knocked out rather knocked down and a little dazed. He was coherent enough to wave off what he knew would come of him lying completely open on the ground in a fight with Silva.

He didn't even get truly knocked out rather knocked down and a little dazed. He was coherent enough to wave off what he knew would come of him lying completely open on the ground in a fight with Silva.

People think knock outs means someone gets hit and lights out. That is not the case.
Most knock outs will cause someone to go blank for about 1/2 to 1 second, that's where the fall down happens, then they seem fine, however, when coming out of it, you're pretty much clueless as to whats going on, one of those, where the F am I things.

Why stop it? because hes open to take a beating with zero chance of knowing its coming, after the first hit or 2 he'll naturally put his hands up to cover his face but that's hardly a defense.

It was a good call to stop the fight.

That's almost exactly what I was saying. He was dazed, came to enough coherence to wave off the onslaught of pain that would come from lying defenseless on the ground, the ref stopped it as he saw necessary. Henderson Bisping jumps to mind. Griffin was lucky that 1. Silva wasn't pissed off at him or an ass hole. He's got more class than that. 2. He was conscious enough to let the ref know he was done. 3. The ref was in better position to jump in than in Bispings case.

Last edited:
A knockout occurs when your jaw unhinges basically and applies pressure to your skull and shocks your brain into rebooting. That is my understanding anyway.

Citing the Bisbing fight is a good call, when you get to that level a great deal of damage can be dealt in a matter of seconds. That's why the most experienced ref's get called in to officiate the big fights.

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings watching this and I was literally the only one who was going for Silva. Everyone kept saying how Forrest was too big and was going to put too much pressure on Silva. I asked everyone to remember what happened the last time a slow slugger (Leben) came at Silva. They all proceeded to remind me of the size factor. I laughed, the fight started, the fight ended... in embarrassing fashion. I was laughing my ass off and no one said one word to me... It was fucking great :D

Oh and most of the place kept saying how BJ was going to get worked because he was a cry baby after the GSP fight. Mostly just biased fans, if you even want to call them fans. Everytime Kenny tried to engage and BJ made him pay, I would point it out and all the BJ haters would just get more and more pissed off. As soon as BJ sunk in the rear naked, a couple guys just got up and left. They didn't even try to see if Kenny would get out.

Also, I haven't gotten a chance to watch the Amir Sodollah(sp?) fight again because after the quick stoppage I had to go take a piss and I missed the replays. Does anyone else think it was stopped early? Everyone in the bar said it was early but they were mainly uneducated fans so I didn't take their word for it. My co worker I went with, is part of that uneducated crowd so I wasn't going to take his word either lol.

A knockout occurs when your jaw unhinges basically and applies pressure to your skull and shocks your brain into rebooting. That is my understanding anyway.

A "knock out" is when the brain goes into shock. Usually by the brain ramming into the skull from being hit with something.. The skull accelerates faster than the brain, brain bonks into the skull, its lights out.

I think the fight was stopped at the right time. Silva could have battered the ever loving shit out of him while he was incapacitated and the fight would have ended the same way. Except a figher could have been seriously injured.

I think we were talking about Amir, at least I was
The Silva fight was stopped at the right time, that was the THIRD TIME in the first round that Silva had knocked down Griffen. Even in Mike Tyson's Punch out that's a TKO

While I still think it was stopped early, phyregod is right, it would have ended the same way. Silva was toying with him. I think Forrest didn't want to be embarrassed for 3 rounds and took an opportunity to bow out.

Yea, and he instead embarrassed himself by darting from the arena before they even had a chance to formally declare Silva the winner.

A "knock out" is when the brain goes into shock. Usually by the brain ramming into the skull from being hit with something.. The skull accelerates faster than the brain, brain bonks into the skull, its lights out.

There's many ways to cause someone to black out. cutting off the blood flow going up the side of your neck (clogged artery) will cause a instant pass out, you can either chock someone using your arms/hands or a firm punch or open hand smack to the neck will do it as long as you stop that blood flow for a split second down they go.

The most common knock out is caused when the jaw gets pushed up pinching the nerves just below the ear, almost any well laid punch into the side of the jaw with an upward motion will cause a knock out with ease.

In order to hit someone hard enough to cause their brain to smack into their scull, first off you'd have to hit something hard to cause that wipelash, soft tends to absorb, chances are if its done with a bare hand, more then likely both the hand and whatever the hand hits would end up being crushed. The last thing you want to do in martial arts is hit someone in a hard spot, you always hit soft parts of the body, the softer the spot you hit the less likely you would have a brain to scull type of hit. That kind of knock out is caused in major car crashes or high falls.

P.S anyone ever notice how a lot of knock out punches end up being weird light looking hits that just land right? People take hard straight on punches over and over to the point of having their eyes cut up, cheeks cut open, forehead cut open, yet they still dont go down.... weird how that works huh?

Last edited:
I think we were talking about Amir, at least I was
So was I lol. I don't think everyone read my post that you were answering...

Rumor has it that Forrest ran from the octagon because he was advised he should seek immediate medical attention because he couldn't hear out of one ear and Silva broke his jaw. I'll post an article as soon as I find a more credible source.

So was I lol. I don't think everyone read my post that you were answering...

Rumor has it that Forrest ran from the octagon because he was advised he should seek immediate medical attention because he couldn't hear out of one ear and Silva broke his jaw. I'll post an article as soon as I find a more credible source.

That was the rumor earlier today. I haven't seen confirmation anywhere.

Back